Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jetbike

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
Update:
Some more stuff added and some changes. I have made the driver seat/position more comfortable and made some high tech seat thing that should protect him from all the gravity that impacts on his body when flying. He is of course looking in a monitor (should have mention that earlier :))
jetbike2.jpg

I had to realize that my concept thumb didnt worked out that well in 3D, so i had to make some changes to make it look better and also a bit more believable. This thing can not only hower over the ground it should also be able to fly very fast. It has 4 turbines for this purpose and also for steering very fast. The turbine on the bottom is turnabel, that should give this bike also the ability to stand still while in the air.
Old: http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/jetbike.jpg

My goal is to make a concept with the workflow like HawkPrey and Nick Carver use to make: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/oishiiniku/thumb1test1gif.gif
and hopefully, i can come any close to there quality. :)

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Davision3D:
    the character looks to smal,- like a midget on a xxl bike
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it may need some more indicators of scale, but that could come down to texture. I think the main thing doing that is it looks like the front is a massive windscreen..
    check out this pic if you havent already too.. dusso is the man
    http://www.dusso.com/images/pg01/PG11.jpg
    edit and this: http://www.dusso.com/images/pg01/PG09.JPG

big shape populated with pockets of small mechanical detail looks very cool
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty cool man, I like how chunky everything is.
    The one thing about the pilot placement is usually that sort of stance on a vehicle implies the driver's body weight has a great deal of control over the steering etc. It might be cooler to give it more of an F1 car type seating. Oh and maybe try adding some big ol backward pointing antenna forms :)
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I want him to be this small because the whole idea behind this is about riding a big powerfull rocket. :) But yeah indicators of scale will be hard to do, i can only think of some kind of ladders on the sides, scratches and dirt will indicate it also a bit but that may not be enough?

@ Rooster
    I have dusso in my favs but only had his awesome matte paintings in my mind. I think i can go easily away from the huge windshield look by metal plating it and adding some details there. The engine details are great, good stuff for the details painting in PS. Btw, in the first pic, wouldnt these turbines suck in the girl? :D

@ konstruct
    The one thing about the pilot placement is usually that sort of stance on a vehicle implies the driver's body weight has a great deal of control over the steering etc.
    That is a really vaild point! :) But with the F1 Seat it would go away from the riding a rocket coolness, maybe i can make a seating that makes the current pose much more comfortable, so it makes more sense.

The dusso website brought the awesome artbooks of Star Wars back to my mind, the have some very detailed vehicle concepts in there, unfortunately i never bought one of these. If someone has a link to some of that concepts, that would be great?
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Here's reference:

EARTHWORM_JIM.jpg

Hope this helps :p
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Like you said you like this scale because you want more of a rocket feel, but yet your calling this a jet bike, that hovers and flys, but it doesnt look like he can even see where he is going over the top of the bike, i dont know if thats transparent or w/e. Regardless this concept is kind of contrasting because, you would want to be able to control a vehicle you might consider someone using to get from place to place, for whatever reason, especially when you need enough precision to not only drive on the ground but to fly in the air. Right now because of how small he is, it doesnt look like he can do that at all. But a very powerful rocket cant be controlled hardly at all, its so big and so massive that it doesnt matter what the rider is doing, or how he is sitting, as long as hes holding on, so he would again not even need to sit on it like a motorcycle either.

Maybe you should decide what direction you want to go with this, and how much conrol you want your rider to look like he has over the vehicle, because a rocket, and a motorcycle are two totally different things. One element has to be stronger than the other.

A good example of something like this is the hoverbike that Fran rides in the begining of Final Fantasy XII, if you havent played Im sure theres some art out there somewhere, its a pretty popular cut scene. Its a very large bike, and it looks like it has a lot of power, yet the scale is still not as extreme as yours, and she looks to be able to conrol it very well.

But in the very least, please make it to where the rider can see where he is going, if nothing else hehe.
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the design and scale I think it’s awesome. You just have to sell how he can see where he's going because right now I’m not buying it. Textures may be able to explain this but it seems like he would have to be looking at some sort of display or monitor to see where he is going and then you would have to add camera's to create that display. Nothing seems like it would be transparent like a windscreen or window at the moment. You're concept on the left made a bit more sense than the one you went with.

The only thing that bothers me is the front of the bike has a square nose. I just can't imagine what would fit there or why the nose would be square and not more aero dynamic. Keep working on it and post your progress.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Updated the first post.

@ WipEout
    Thats a worm on a turbine, you fail! I need a cow on a rocket! :D

@ Firecracker197
    I think you takeing my comment with the rocket a bit too seriously, its not to meant to be some kind of rocket, it just meant to be very fast, like sitting on a very powerfull beast...not really a beast though ;). Of course he has no control over it with his weight, like motorbikes used to have. But the "turbines" on the sides should give that thing some good steering ability and if the pose is comfortable i thing its ok to have him sit like this. But yeah the jetbike name seems more and more unfitting.

@ Wilex
    The Camera will be in the bend front, in that element that sticks out.
    You should take a look at the UT3 vehicles, a lot of them have no windshield and a camera is also hard to find.
    The plane front lets the air move under the vehicle or through the wind channels. There will be also some lights at the front.