Home General Discussion

Lucas Arts Troubles

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Spark polycounter lvl 18
Not sure if any polycounter's were effected by this news, but it's sad to hear. Sounds like over 100 employees have been let go, with little or no reason.

http://kotaku.com/5013769/rumor-ex+lucasarts-staffer-talks-kotor-3-more-indy-wii-lightsaber-game

Spark

Replies

• Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, this news may not be so good for Fracture.

Hopefully those that lost their jobs can find better ones.
    http://kotaku.com/5013769/rumor-ex+lucasarts-staffer-talks-kotor-3-more-indy-wii-lightsaber-game
    Two internally-developed games apparently far enough along to be unaffected by the sackings are The Force Unleashed (which they say has already "passed approval with SCEA and is ready to ship") and Fracture, which they say is described by team members as "an absolute piece of garbage".

http://kotaku.com/5013710/rumor-lucasarts-sees-massive-layoffs-outsources-jobs-%5Bupdated%5D
    Update: While LucasArts public relations did not get back to us today, several former LucasArts staffers did, with one telling us that 75-100 employees were laid off from the company, including the producer of LEGO Indiana Jones and LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, Shawn Storc.

According to another source, up to 80% of staff has been laid off in departments such as Production Services, which includes QA and Compliance, with jobs planned to be outsourced overseas. Cuts were also said to be made in development, with art and programming staffers being laid off.
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    Sounds like Lucasarts has a history of bad biz choices over the last few years. I worked with a designer from Lucasarts who was apart of that first wave of mass layoffs in 2005. But, the difference here is that this recent slashing was abrupt and without notice. The layoffs in 05 (Jim Ward's idea), were well planned and apart of a "cleaning house" tactic. The employees had months of warning time.
    (sigh) :( This definitely discourages any hope or faith i had in working for them down the road. There's definitely loss of trust.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Man..condolences to anyone affected, hopefully no Polycounters.

Meanwhile they're ramping up their production staff in their Singapore studio to 300 this year, with a bent towards fresh grads.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Our engineer who makes our level editor was part of LucasArts layoff, and he said one day they were just 'canned' and everyone collected in the parking lot (I never understood that part of the story)

So, though some may have had notice months in advance, there have been other sudden layoffs at LucasArts.

I don't think I could trust my livelihood with a company that has ever engaged in mass layoffs.

-R
    yup,

bad managment and biz no?
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    They made some classics back in the day. X-Wing and such
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Darth Tomi wrote: »
    They made some classics back in the day. X-Wing and such
    Nope. The whole X-Wing & Tie Fighter series were developed by Totally Games.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    i thought that they were on the upswing when they realized that they couldn't make the best games, and so went out and started getting other devs to make their games for them. Ala KotoR and the Lego games. Guess not. :(
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond wrote: »
    Nope. The whole X-Wing & Tie Fighter series were developed by Totally Games.

No, they may have made console versions but not on the PC.

Sounds like George the five chins Lucas is a bit strapped for cash and he is moving everything out their to cut costs. Poor George......NOOT!!!
  • dnorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dnorth polycounter lvl 18
    http://kotaku.com/5013997/analyst-lucasarts-layoffs-about-ea-studio-politics

Hope everybody gets back on their feet soon. Man, I hate layoffs.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    No, they may have made console versions but not on the PC.

Oh... Jedi Starfighter, then.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope they aren't pulling that old tactic of laying everyone off after they ship a title to reap higher profits by lightening the overhead. With all their success lately and their past blunders I thought they had learned. Sad sad news, I hope everyone lands ok.
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    ugh, that's depressing =/ Seems like there's been a lotta layoffs in the industry lately, with sandblast and now lucasarts
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still waiting for RTX red rock 2. :P
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Man o, man, o man... Good luck to those affected, I seriously hate axings... Why cant management figure out ways to stop screwing people and their families over. I know this is a huge part of our industry, but it still sickens me when these huge black clouds sweep through studios. It is usually one douche bag who thinks they have the right idea and can save a company a buck or two or they blew the overhead on hookers and bad real estate..... I guess until companies can figure out ways of keeping things running smoothly and learn to plan ahead this will unfortunately continue.
    Good luck to those effected....:poly119:
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Man o, man, o man... Good luck to those affected, I seriously hate axings... Why cant management figure out ways to stop screwing people and their families over. I know this is a huge part of our industry, but it still sickens me when these huge black clouds sweep through studios. It is usually one douche bag who thinks they have the right idea and can save a company a buck or two or they blew the overhead on hookers and bad real estate..... I guess until companies can figure out ways of keeping things running smoothly and learn to plan ahead this will unfortunately continue.
    Good luck to those effected....:poly119:

That's the dumbest post I've read on this entire board in a very long time. I don't even know where to start, but I might suggest working in the bizz for a few years before finding oneself confident enough to make entirely uninformed statements about industry practices.

Like you suggest, it could be that management blew all the development cash on houses and hookers in their rampant determination to 'screw over families', OR, in the context of being a productive, efficient development studio, Lucasarts have been struggling for some time. Neither the Indy or Star Wars projects are shipping on time, so I don't think this news comes as a particularly huge surprise.

At some point I hope it will become apparent to the industry that the 100+ team model rarely works. Throwing more people at a problem without addressing the core team weaknesses doesn't help, it hinders. EA still haven't figured this out either, and these kind of growing pains will continue for the larger studios until they do.

If anyone laid off from Lucas on the environment side can face the commute down to Silicon valley, see my post in the paid job section.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gah! That sucks. i know plenty of guys that went out there too. :(

As always though, if anyone out there knows anyone that got laid off or they're reading this, we're hiring across all departments.

Just send me a pm and I'll see what I can do.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex wrote: »
    ugh, that's depressing =/ Seems like there's been a lotta layoffs in the industry lately, with sandblast and now lucasarts

With the economy being what it is (in the US) and venture capitol being scarce I doubt this is the last we'll see of layoffs. Sometimes its not miss management or greed, sometimes its about streams of cash running dry.

But I think in this case Daz is right that throwing more wood on the fire only makes for a bon fire that burns hot and leaves only a few glowing coals behind. But I can only guess because I've only worked at a small studio, in a niche market, that seems to be immune to most of the industries diseases. I honestly can't say that 100+ teams don't work because I haven't been there, but I can imagine that it starts to be come a bloated logistical nightmare that at some point works against the process.

Its not hard to imagine that with training new hires, and trying to unify differing artistic styles, speeds, and different disciplines, that at some point more time is spent on supporting the pipeline then whats going through it.
    I think that as common as layoffs are in this industry, it's just as common for a quality engineer, artist or Producer to get rehired. The same cannot be said for other industries but I'd like to believe that our industry has a stronger resistance to the effects of a dwindling economy than most.

For Example:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23472166/

Not that this article defines the authority on the topic but the topic and subject matter is common in many other economic articles on-line.

:)