Home Technical Talk

Skin Modifier

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
Anyone know of some good Skin modifier tutorials? I haven't been able to find anything. What's annoying me most is not being able to mask off areas by going to the editable poly and selecting the areas I want to work on like I do with physique.

Replies

• tom.drin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tom.drin polycounter lvl 17
    I don't know any skin tutorial, but if you are starting with it I would recommend SkinOrDie scripts - they are very useful and provide even more comfort then physique.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Tips:

Vertex selection will allow you to select edge loops.
    You can grow and shrink selections.

I usually take a big strong brush and rough everything in - you'll have a rough skin in 10 minutes.

Refine with a smaller brush, don't use blend yet. 15 minutes will get you a good first pass skin.

Remove Zero weights is great for removing not only weights set to 0 strength, but the Zero Limit allows you to set a threshold to clean up weak weighting.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good tips.

I also second SkinOrDie, if it still works. It has a hide command that hides the faces. Unfortunately he couldn't hide the verts themselves, but at least they're frozen unweightable. Lots of other useful stuff in there though, amazing toolset.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys. I'll check out SkinOrDie, looks really good.