Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Website critique, please!

First post here on the forums - hi guys!

I'm looking to spruce up my site a bit. I plan to have rollover rune-like images on my nav bar (where the circles are), and I need a piece of artwork right from the start. Right now I think it's too plain as far as first looks go. Also, I plan to put LightBox in to display my 2D and 3D still images.

Other than that, have at it!

http://www.ashean-soul.com

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This got a bit more verbose than I meant to, oh well that's passion for you!

Hidden content; the most classic error in portfolio design.

How your site falls into this: main page > 3D > 3D Environments

That's three levels of hiding before revealing content. Additionally, your portfolio is broken up into six unique sections, 2d, 3d env, 3d models and 3d marquettes, 3d reel and 3d reel. What happens here is, with each additional click or section you make the user discover, it's one less chance of your work being presented. By literally burying your work you're figuratively burying yourself. Now that the explaining is done, let's get down to business.

A portfolio should include three major components: Portfolio, Resume and contact information. If you're efficient you can squeeze that all down to one page. More commonly a site should be a portfolio with a link to resume and contact information on the main page.

Remove updates/news page. Portfolios do not warrant news.

Main page should be thumbnail images of your portfolio. These should be your best pieces, and a common average is 6-10 pieces. These should best display your abilities, so nothing unfinished, nothing you're not 100% confident about. Obviously this should be geared to exactly the position you seek.

For content, your 2d work is cute and stylish. Your coloring needs work. While it's hard for me to put my finger on why exactly, but I prefer your uncolored 2d.

Finish your 3d work! The Observatory looks amazing, but it's untextured. Same goes for the majority of your 3d.

Finally, what is your goal with this portfolio? All your 2d is characters, majority of 3d is environments. There seems a lack of focus about the portfolio overall. I'd figure out exactly what I want to be and make the site reflect that goal.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Something that caught my eyes, that hasn't been mentioned yet, were the images of your character maquettes. They are very grainy and well.. that makes it a lot less impressive in my opinion. Also it shouldn't be too hard to fix.
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cholden: Thank you for your detailed reply. You talked about the hidden content issue, and that makes so much sense to me. I will probably attempt an overhaul of the whole site to 'unbury' my work.

I have a lot of people comment that they like my sketches overy my colored work - guess I'll just have to keep working on that because I do want to show painted pieces as well as sketches.

Finally, as far as the lack focus goes, my issue is that I love drawing & creating 2D characters but I've never tried my hand at modeling them mostly because I am unfamiliar with the wirframe of faces and bodies. When it came time to creating my demo reel at school I went with environment art because I felt more comfortable with non-organic modeling than organic modeling. You are right. I need to figure out a direction.

Kawe: Thank you for your critique - I should probably take some new, better photos of those maquettes. Unfortunately, the one of the tree ent 'Rotwood' was destroyed by my cat about a year ago. I have other photos that I will dig up and see if I can't put up some better ones.
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Cholden.

In your overhaul you need to pick a title, 3D artist is too general. Texture out your work its unfinished if its not textured. Your enviornment pieces are your strongest in my opinion.

If you focus your portfolio on your current strengths which seems to be 3D enviornments you'll probably land a job sooner.

If you decide to texture your 3D work or start a new project for your portfolio you should post your progress on the forums.

Good luck
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    just a quicky

- the buttons are not very beautiful.. esp. the "3D"-look looks cheap (why not sketch a page and transform this sketch into html ? this way you get a realy unique page)

- your thumbnails are sooottiiinyyyyyy .. use the space you have more.. (scrolling is NOT bad)

- don´t make undercategories (3D-section) with just a textlink and loooooooooooots of wasted space

your scetches are superb.. but till i find them i think with every klick "this page looks like there is no good art in here"

and that´s not true..

(and yes.. coloring your sceteches is something you should work on .. it makes them look wore than they are)

hope this helps a littel bit :)
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not as harsh as "Rollin" - buttons are simple and effective. I could only suggest a few things.
    I think you should animate the buttons, so when I go over them or click them "They make a beeping noise of some kind and they shrink a bit when doing so or change colour." Adds a bit of finess I think.

Also I would work a bit more on the gremlin face. Maybe give him a smile or something. and design him in the flesh.

I would take the whole template of your web box and move it further up'

Adding more colours dosnt hurt... Gif's are fun

Also I didnt find the first page which appears to be the update page, attracting. I would display Some of your Character Maquettes or something more intresting..

I found your Artist biography to much " I love doign this, I like doing this, I do this."
    I personly find this repetitive and gets tedious. And I would only display one picture, the first picture in your artist biography. And talk about your expirences in the field and where you want to take your expirences, etc.

Thats about it from me =D
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    a good start. I dont like the actual layout and theres a shitload of hidden content. If this showed up in my inbox I'd assume you wanted an environment position but be confused by the 2d which is all characters. Your 2d work is underdeveloped especially in color department. I'd cut it down substantially.

The telescope/its environment are easily your strongest. Texture them.

Bust out thumbnails on the main page and make them readable. focus

focus

focus.

Did i mention focus?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Yes i cant even see anything at 48x48 thumbnail. :( And I'd agree not enough finished pieces.