Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for Portfolio Critique

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
DLoud polycounter lvl 15
Just graduated a couple weeks ago. And looking to start the job hunt soon. Figured I'd get some feedback before I show it to employers. Let me know what you guys think.

www.danaloud.com

Replies

• staticcurve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    staticcurve polycounter lvl 10
    hey Dana, its late so forgive my bluntness and I hope none of this is taken as offensive.

- First of all, you need to pick a focus. You have characters, props and environments on you page and that just tells me you don't know what you want to do. I suggest picking what you enjoy to do the most, get a few more pieces done and gear your portfolio to it.

- Secondly, The first few piece you have on there need some work. Below are some crits:

:Skull: Not bad overall, especially for, im guessing, your first skull but I would grab some ref and compare yours to it. Study the hell out of your reference.

:Fountian Base: Kinda boring but not bad. You showcase a normal and diffuse for the prop but you are missing a spec, also show a wire.

:logo: Ditch it, it just doesn't belong. When you get a job as a 3d artist at a game studio how many logos do you think you will be designing?

:Character: this and the last environment are the best pieces you have on here, but your presentation isnt steller. Post some wires, and spend some more time refining his texture. That little guy has potential.. hes much better than my first character out of school.

:Worm thing: I would prolly get rid of this guy as well. First of all you sculpted a highres but didnt project a normal map.. and yet you show both...

:Environment: Not bad at all but spend some time on the ground texture and lighting. Its pretty bland right now.

Hope it helps, g'luck
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Dana, I agree with Staticcurve on everything he mentioned. I think you should stick to environments and props for the time being just because character art is highly competitive and there aren’t as many jobs available.

I think you should start some new projects either an environment or some complex props for your portfolio. Also post your work here in a WIP thread and take the comments and critiques seriously. You've shown that you have the technical knowhow to produce 3D art but you need to make some impressive pieces to be able to get a job as a digital artist.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    hey,
    Yea i second the kid aboves opinion about picking what you like to do and focusing more on that. I also think you need to re-word your descriptions of your work... Stop saying "attempted".. makes me think of you attempted it but failed. But honestly you have a long hard road ahead of you cause your skills still need a decent amount of improvement for an entry level. If you want look at my portfolio under that architecture section and look at the rooms i have there. Might help you out with that room you did. The model is there jsut needs some help in lighting and texture.

Where did you graduate from and what was your G.P.A.

Also set up an account with www.creativeheads.net , should help with the job hunting and getting people to look at your work
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    I really appreciate the feedback guys. I've always enjoyed creating environments more than characters in the past. As you can probably tell, most of the stuff in my portfolio was part of a project for school. Over the past few weeks of browsing these forums I've come to really take to heart what folks are saying. Most art professors tend to be biased one way or another on their views. I'll get to work on some props/environments and see what I can come up with. I'd rather start something new than try to touch up old work. Most of the things in my portfolio were learning experiences. Thanks again
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I agree, don't touch up, move forward on fresh ideas.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I can tell they are more practice work...its better to drop them and invest your time making much more challenging and appealing piece...after all its your skill set outcome and presentation that will net you a cushy job...