Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crusher Revived

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TWilson polycounter lvl 18
crusher2_wip02b.jpg
crusher2_wip03b.jpg

Biggy Size

I found some time to have a proper go at Crusher. I plan on creating a bit of a scene with him in action.... crushing.

He's currently 5500 triangles with three 2048x2048s.

Replies

• Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Really cool character man, I think the hair alphas are super effective.

There is some red pigment around his eyes that when zoomed out makes his face look like a mask like deadpool or spawn or something. I think that if it more evenly gradiated back into the color of his flesh that it would look more organic.

His proportions are really cool, hope to see some badass action crushing! I'd love to see those giant hands mollywhompin something half his size lol
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Dag yo. I loved your initial attempts at this model. The hair is a nice addition. It looks very matted, but that fits the character nicely. I would like to see a little bit more variation in the diffuse color, perhaps have his back a slightly darker shade. I only mention this as a quibble. The skin is very realistic, and real creatures tend to have more color variation on one side. The only time this isn't true is when they remain out of the sun regularly. If this critter is supposed to be cave-dwelling, than of course more color variation would be unnecessary.

I love the way you painted in the blue for his veins. It really makes the muscles that much more convincing.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    the hair looks fantastic, but to me it feels like either there should be tons of hair or none at all. the lack of the hair on the front of the body just feels out of place when you see the side/back
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thats some of the more convincing hair i've seen on a game res asset, good job. Can we see the textures?
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work the textures are excellent and the model is clean. I'm also curious about your work flow and how you character artists keep your edge flow so clean and evenly spaced is there any trick to it or are you just being very careful or maybe low poly to subdivide?

I can't think of any critiques really, I think the amount of hair he has now is fine but more wouldn’t look bad either because the hair you've made looks good. Make sure you give him some sort of covering so he's not out crushing with his junk hanging out er.....lack thereof.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Turtle-goat?

The hair does look awesome. And I'd personally like to see more of it (even if only for the sake of balance). Perhaps something of a maine or waddle-chest hair combination would work. Aside from that, I can't find anything to gripe about. Looks very cool.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the kind comments!

Here are some more images including some tweaks based on your feedback. I threw him up on my site real quick too Crusher

I know what you mean about the hair distribution. I think I'll make his battle partner then come back because I'm a blind to it right now.

crusher02.jpg

crusher03.jpg

crusher04.jpg
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was skeptical about the hair when I first saw it but you've got it looking really nice now... the transition between solid and alpha is so smooth!

I still like the old feet..