Home Technical Talk

Unreal terrain texture scaling issue

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
Working in Unreal 3 Editor, my team and I are experiencing issues in retaining terrain texture scale when saving our maps out. Once I've scaled the terrain textures the way I like, I save the map out and pass it to a coworker or our client and they do NOT see the changes to the texture scale like I do on my workstation. If I close and then open my editor again to the same terrain and recache the terrain materials, it switches back to the original texture scale (the way my coworkers are seeing). We simply want to scale the textures up but unreal refuses to save the changes. Any idea what may be causing this and how to get texture scaling to work properly in Unreal?

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    did you post this question into unedit3?
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lee3Dee, No i have not posted this question there but I am looking through the database to see if my questions have already been answered. Thanks!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Art,

Are you saving your terrain layer setup materials into your map or a separate package? Ideally your layer setup and layer materials should be in a separate package and would then need to be saved and handed off along with the map. The texture scaling for the terrain is saved in these terrain layer setup materials and not the map.

Any idea what Epic QA build you guys are using?

-Tyler
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Tyler, just seeing your comment now.. We've been saving them into their own unique packages. We ended up scaling and saving the Tmat itself. The scale and rotate tools for unreal terrain editing are pretty much useless I guess. Not sure what build we are using,.