Home Contests & Challenges Archives

FPS Weapon: Israeli Uzi

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
Im in! Trying to get a better grasp on this high poly modeling business. I'm not much of a concept artist so I'm going to model this guy.

uzi9.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Bit early to say much other than where's the imagination in the piece? Duping real-life to try and win a challenge :thumbdown:
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea...I just have 0 confidence in my concepting abilities and have limited knowledge about guns. But Ill give it a shot, hopefully will have some sketches to post by tommorow.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You could always just take that and make it look like some enterprising mercenary has tried to improve it using stuff they found lying around the place - duct-tape a 2nd ammo magazine onto the side, wrap some cloth around the barrel as if they thought it'd work like a silencer ... something to vary up the materials and make the silhouette a bit more interesting.

Doesn't necessarily need a concept if that's what you want to do. I don't think it's a bad thing if you want to use this contest to improve your high-poly skills with an object you can find lots of good reference photos for.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    You could always just take that and make it look like some enterprising mercenary has tried to improve it using stuff they found lying around the place - duct-tape a 2nd ammo magazine onto the side, wrap some cloth around the barrel as if they thought it'd work like a silencer ... something to vary up the materials and make the silhouette a bit more interesting.

Doesn't necessarily need a concept if that's what you want to do. I don't think it's a bad thing if you want to use this contest to improve your high-poly skills with an object you can find lots of good reference photos for.

QFT
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont see any reason why real weapons should be frowned upon, i've seen MANY real weapons executed 100x better than "imaginary" weapons, in fact most concept weapons people tend to make have such little bearing in reality that they fall completely flat and look silly. That being said i would try to find some sort of well grounded, but still unique concept, or at the very least a weapon less typical and cliche then a uzi.

l85
    sa80-l22a1.jpg
    sa80-l85a2_ubgl.jpg

etc
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    That's a nice gun, EQ, Nate you should go for something like that.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I like MoP's idea of taking a real gun and adding character to it over the idea of modeling something in its factory state.

Either way, good luck :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    adamBrome wrote: »
    I like MoP's idea of taking a real gun and adding character to it over the idea of modeling something in its factory state.

QFT
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are SO MANY little known but awesome looking real world weapons to choose from. Don't chose an UZI which has been modeled more times than there are atoms in the universe.

484_tci_m89.jpg
    dsr1variationsye5.jpg
    vektor-cr21_01.jpg
    vepr1.jpg
    g11full.jpg

etc!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »

Definately, but choosing a unique weapon in the first place is just as important as this. The two ideas arent mutually exclusive.
  • Ignition
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what are some good render setting for the for the pictures
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    that last one is kick ass.

Today I am wearing my aliens gun t-shrt.
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    that last one is kick ass.

Today I am wearing my aliens gun t-shrt.

The G11 I posted? Designed by H&K but never made it into production. Really interesting weapon though. Caseless ammunition, few moving parts, plus a floating barrel and 3 round burst fire at a very high rate mean that the 3 rounds leave the barrel before the recoil ruins the aim.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G11
    http://world.guns.ru/assault/as42-e.htm

Anyway, let us stop derailing nates topic and see what awesome weapon he models up for us, eh?
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, I'm going with the SA-80 that EQ posted earlier. Thanks for all the feedback. I'll definitely see what I can do to make this thing look like it had an owner who's been through hell.

I hope I get this much response when I post some actual art :D