Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unreal3 Level Art Dump

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, making a CTF map for UT3 called CTF-Angkhan, it's going to be themed after Cambodian temples such as Angkor and others.

I started out by making a couple basic textures. Instead of photo sourcing straight from CGT, i actually created my own geometry for the textures and baked the diffuse and normal maps straight from max.. the same way cholden does his meshes and stuff... it works quite well.

Here's some screenies.

brickwall.jpg
brickwall_wire.jpg
brickwall_proj.jpg
textures.jpg

Replies

• gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Its a good start. You may want to space out the blocks a bit more and flange the backs to get more depth. You could even go as far as generating height map in 3ds max and doing some parallax mapping in UE3.

Spec and lighting leave a bit to be desired.

Keep it up.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks game dev for the feedback. I should have stated that that image was just a quick screen grab demo of what the textures look like in real time... the problem with showing complete materials off is that you really have to be able to interact light with them to get a good sense of critique for them.

when you say flange the backs... i dont quite understand what you mean by that? Wouldn't you be able to achieve more depth by decreasing the intensity of the blue channel? or do you mean flange them to get more realistic depth in the normal map.

Im not sure about creating spec maps yet... it's one of those things i need more practice and critique on.

This is gunna be a hard project... i vowed myself to not use any content from epic so im making all textures, meshes, emitters, effects, all that junk by myself.... it's gunna be a HUGE undertaking but if i maintain a high quality for the whole map, i'll have plenty of game art to put in my portfolio :D
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    Virtuosic, I really like the idea, and the walls are looking good. I went to Cambodia and Angkor Wat over this past Christmas, if you want any reference photos I have tons.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    @Virtuosic

This looks pretty good. I would suggest maybe taking your texture that you applied to it and give it some more definition. also taking the specular maps to greater heights with some different colors that compliment the diffuse.

for the highpoly i would think about removing some of those bricks just to break up the wall more like I think you were doing. also I agree a height map would work wonders for the parallax and nothing makes it look stronger then an ambient occlusion pass even if subtle.

You defiantly have the process oh highpoly, to low, to baking the normal down though so thats great. did you also make the ground the same way?

Again nice work, keep producing.

@Ozymandias

You should make a flickr account of that stuff and post a thread about it. I think everyone would love to see those pictures.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ ozymandias -- thanks man i sent you a pm

@ Frozan... thanks for the feedback... i never thought about making specular colors to compliment the diffuse... i'll give that a try... i'll throw in an ambient occlusion map on both textures, and i'll do the paralax too...

i was going to do the paralax at first, but in order for it to work perfectly you have to add it to diffuse, specular, and the normal map which kind of makes the material very complex... like 90+ instructions... so i'd have to sacrifice the specular map or something for it to be efficient.

i'm still working on new textures so i'll post some stuff again later tonight.

oh, and yes, the ground was done the same way.