Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Portfolio - tylersart.com

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TWilson polycounter lvl 18
I put some proper time into my web site today. The old one was feeling a bit sloppy and old to me.

Feedback is appreciated of course.

TylersArt.com

page_screengrab.jpg

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    It looks really clean to me.

Thats a pretty large body of work you have. I'm not sure if that works for you or against you, but I'd be willing to bet an art director wouldnt take the time to open ALL of your images.

I'm also not a fan of the flash picutre opening window that everyone seems to be using these days, but thats more a personal preference. I just feel like its slower than a new page with the picture on it, or a link to the jpg.

Looks really good overall though.
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the green and white looks a little too neon on my screen.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    FINISH THAT BEAR!!!!
    hehe

Looks good. I like the neonyness.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Ya, I'd save this off, and then copy it to a new version, where you reduce the total number of pieces by about half. I also tend to agree that the flash window thing is annoying.

Looks great though.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I split the portfolio into 3 pages. So it should be a bit less like a restaurant menu with too many choices. Less intimidating now I hope. I also added some subtle bits that should help finish it.

As far as the javascript window - Are people aware that you can click previous and next in there? Is it less annoying knowing that? Isn't it more annoying having to use your browsers back button then select another icon then use your back button then select another icon etc?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    nice portfolio! i'd split it in personal and proffessional though, and maybe not include all of it.
    and definately add a tutorial section with a very good tutorial on painting textures ;) lol.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think you have great content but presentation really kills it honestly. Especially the pixelated rounded corners, and that green.

Also, don't hesitate and push the saturation of your normalmapped pieces in the thumbnails. That type of CG shown on a white background often looks washed out.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Change the speed of LightBox resizing. I have no idea why the default is so slow :/
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    i actually like the image gallery popup, where can I download this script? tried searching the net for javascript image gallery, looked through a bunch of sites, gave up, figured id just ask you :P
    i like the site but thought you would go for a darker theme that relates more to your work, with pics such as the chick dead in the bath tub

EDIT: heh thanks for that name drop keen, here it is for anyone else who may want it: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/lightbox2/index.htm
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    My problem with Lightbox is definitely the speed. Whenever I see it, I just middle click images in Firefox to get around it. It makes for a nice looking presentation but its functionality is a little slow (much like Flash). It may only be a second or two, but when you want to look at a lot of images quickly it gets in the way.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    A google video is your friend???

And I would personally throw some Prototype stuff on the first page, not hide on the second. Its one of the bigger titles you've worked on (I think?) and just impressed me alot when I saw it in your portfolio.

I dno, just think it might be good to have that on your front page, too, somewhere, somehow.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I adjusted the top banner a bit. The shapes inside should be identifiable now. I stuck with the green though ...I like it's summery and happy - opposite of my company site.

Japhir: I think I have enough room to write "tutorial" at the top there still :) I'll have to write one first though.

poir: Ack pixelated corners. I'll have to jpeg them instead I guess. Nice new site you have there too.

commander_keen: HOW? I would love it. I haven't found anything about speeding up lightbox except other knock offs which I'm not as fond of.

Steady: 2.04 is out apparently - http://www.lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/

Slightly Bored: A google video is my friend yes. I hope that the stuff I make in the following weeks and months will be better than what I did on Prototype. Maybe I'll put the cover I did for Proto on the front page at least.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    search for resizeSpeed in lightbox.js and set it to 10. if you want it to go even faster you would have to remove the > 10 check and possibly do some other things. it looks like a value of 11 would cause an instant resize.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    love your stuff, but the layout seemed very weird to me :( page one has a some 3d, some it not finished, a blank spot in the middle then another 3d image linking to the darkside swine. :D then paintings.....

Page 2 and 3 look all like 3d.. I'd probably suggest putting it into catagories possibly. This IMHO and others mileage may vary, I'd put all your commercial work together as a showcase, then your personal 3d, and then your paintings, etc. I think your commercial stuff like the bully stuff is top notch but it's hidden back on page 3..

just my opinions of someone that can't find a job in the 3d industry. :)
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I would use larger thumbnails to present the artwork. Maybe the ones on my own portfolio site is a bit too large, but they mostly give you a clear idea of what to expect when clicking them. There's a chance people don't have time for guesswork when viewing your portfolio.

I recommend giving pieces like the Brad Pitt one a page of his own, where you place all the pictures related to them there so people can get a quick overview, especially with the slightly annoying lightbox in use.

You have some really good stuff there, but you probably need to present it a bit better.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I took all the feedback from polycount and some friends aaand...

I think everyone except folks on dialup will be happy with it now.

-The icons are larger.
    -Created separate personal and professional sections.
    -The different games/characters have their own pages now so no more lightbox click click click clicking.
    -Sped lightbox up ...just for some less significant items and some paintings.
    -Removed all the poor aliasing on the icon corners.

and a handful of other details.

page_screengrab2.jpg
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Much better, well done :) A lot easier to get a good overview of your artwork now.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    great improvement, much easier to read. good stuff!
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, just read through the thread - although I can't see what is USED to look like, it seems cool now. I see what people are saying about the green.

I would prefer to see your pro section appear as your default home instead of personal - it just seemed like more interesting work to me.

BTW Nice work!
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Third time's the charm?

Qubism disliked my site enough to contact me and was so inspired by it all that he just remade it for me! I think he did a fine job. Thanks Tom!! I'll be passing your site to anyone looking for design work for certain.

page_screengrab3.jpg

For anyone interested you can still view the old one here: tylersart.com/green
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The top navigation buttons up top are practically unnoticeable. When I first opened up the site, I thought all you were showing were some of your professional work. I had to look around before I noticed you had other pages.
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    i agree with brody... just making them bold would help them stand out... as they would be the only bold blue items

also something like:

Professional | Personal | About | Resume | Friends

would help set them apart from one another as they kinda blend together right now
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    i think the banner pictures of the professional stuff arent really well balanced - the bully&scarface banners are too empty and the back of hulk isnt so interessting either. overall its way better than the old one :)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work. How did it feel to model and texture Santa as a bum? :poly104:
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll see what I can do about the menu links.

I was also unsure of the pro icons balance. I'll see what I can do with that.

Santa bum was great! :) There's actually a guy around town here I've named Track Suit Santa who is a bum. I always wanted to model him ...in a track suit with the giant white hair he has.