Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sam Kieths "Maxx"

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
konstruct polycounter lvl 18
gonna stop spamming the "whatcha workin on" thread

I`m losing objective distance at this point so if anything jumps out at anyone as being wonky SPEAK UP!!. I want to adjust the sizing and position of the feet, but I plan on doing most of those fixes on the low poly.

Compile_Post%20ref2.jpg
Maxx_07.jpg

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    looking good dude. One thing that bugs me is that it looks like he's about to fall over backward. Maybe its just the angle, but the pose could be cooler. You might make the teeth a little more angular and less round.

I like the way you did the hands. you could define the separation between fingers a bit more though, they're a bit melted together.

MOAR
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Thats fucking awesome. I loved that show. I would make his teeth a tad longer, and sharper.

Otherwise, great adaptation.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    his head and neck look a little small to me, and i agree with the teeth comments. other than that it looks really cool, keep going.

his boots look a lot more worn and weathered in the comic, are you going to do that in the texture and crazybump, rather than zbrush?
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the boots actually never really appear the same way twice,- and actually I guess I can say that for the maxx as a whole, I dont think he`s ever drawn the same way- I`m actually using an old mcfarlane action figure for some base ref, and thats where I got the idea for the straps and large bolts.

I might do a second version of the boot thats more just of a lumpy sculpt like in the comic, but we`ll see. and yeah, I was planning on handling all that high frequency detail on the boots with crazy bump.

FYI this is mudbox :P - boots modeled with a series of lofts 0_0 <-pain in the ass
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    That's sweet. I always wanted to make the maxx ...I have half a base mesh from 2000. Didnt get too far.

I would propose proportional changes but you're probably not interested at this point. (200% bigger hands and teeth)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I have that exact action figure sitting above my computer. I am a huge fan of the comic books, and good idea for a 3d model its turning out great.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    "Your mask is the face of a man with no head. Your mask it is evil, your fish it is dead."
    "My mask is not evil, its a clever disguise. i chose it to hide from the pryingest of eyes..."

Forget exactly how that line ends.

Given they're a pretty important part of the character and proportions are more or less interchangeable, I'd increase the size of the fists significantly.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Ah! Our lost hero found his way to PC once again. I remember seeing him here a long time ago. But now he's back in full mudboxy glory!

Aside from the proportional issues (which don't really bother me to be honest) I really love how you captured him so far.
    Very nice detail on adding the elastic rim of his jacket underneath the spandex suit :)

One thing I would add is waaaay more muscle in his lower arms. In almost every image his lower arms seem about to explode. As you have them now, they're really too smooth imo.

Whatcha think, gonna do the tribal headgear aswell?

Now all he needs is some isz to stomp on :D
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My suggestion would be to make the muscles much more tense and rennndered, but it all depends on what mood you want him in.
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    It's looking good so far, but I would change the length of his neck. Right now it looks like a snake neck with a small head. magnify the head a bit, bring it up and back towards the shoulders some, then beef out the top of the trapezius and the sternocleidomastoids (just like the full-body shot on a brown wall in your ref).

I kind of agree with AsylumSeeker, that you should beef up his muscles a bit.

Good stuff though, I look forward to seeing it when you're done.
  • Piotr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great. He does seem to need some stronger muscles compared to the reference but I dig it anyway.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I messed with his proportions a bit, went up a sub-D, got his teeth more agressive and beefed up some muscle groups here and there.
    I`m still not entirely happy with how his head attaches to his body and the upper back area needs some attention.

anyone still feel like digging into this critique wise? It would be super duper appreciated:

Maxx_08.jpg
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I think the quadriceps look off. Check it:

http://www.coloradoproshow.com/images/marcushaley.jpg
    http://saveyourself.ca/resources/images/spot08.jpg

Also, is there a reason why it looks like he's wearing a sweater of some kind? That band around his waist is kind of distracting, but maybe that's something from the comic. I see it in one of your ref pics, too.

The neck and trapezius muscles definitely need some attention, like you said. I think it's good, but before you call him done you gotta do one last pass of veins and muscle striations to make him look extra mean.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good! I think your proportional changes are a step in the right direction. The teeth could probably be even more aggressive. They're really big and sharp in the comics!

I could be wrong but it seems to me that his back should be full of ridiculous muscles too... that's just how I imagined it.

Maybe I'll make Mr.Gone and we can do battle.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Amazing. I love the Maxx, and like someone posted above, I've got the figure around here somewhere.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just baked everything out, and about an hour or two is done on the texture. He still has a way to go, IE. Right now he has a bit of a giant grape thing goin on.
    Maxx_10.jpg
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great. I'm requesting you put him in a dramatic scene battling those little black dudes for his beauty shot :D
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I was thinking about getting around to the izs. Its a pretty simple character so any details I can add the better. I`m actually thinking about adding the head dress, doing the white izs, and going for an outback render. We`ll see how far i get before I bury this one. :poly114:
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    yes you must add iz...looks awesome man..The headdress would be cool too
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    I've also been a fan of the comics and I love what you've done with the textures! it put a smile on my face :)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    The only gripe is, sharpen the points on the hands hehe

The skin and texture looks great.
  • RyanFaillace
  • CaptainHowdy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CaptainHowdy polycounter lvl 17
    Brilliant, Keith's art style really comes across now you have got a texture on there...jus' needs The Jungle Queen!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Turned out great Konstruct!
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Texture work is amazing, only gripe is that the teeth and the pointy fingers are not sharp enough.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FINALLY putting this to rest. I know the first thing I`m going to get flak on is my mesh. I took no effort to re-toplogize. And that's going to be a focus of my next project. The hair is janked as well. I re-did it 3 times, before finally settling on what you see. That much hair (volume wise) is a pain in the ass, and I have much respect for people that can pull it off.

Also I had nothing to do with the environment. Me and a friend (http://peeves.noobgrinder.com/) combo-ed on this and he made the Outback for the Izs, and Maxx to frolic around in.

I should probably mention that these shots are ue3-

MAXX_01.jpg
    MAXX_02.jpg
    MAXX_03.jpgMAXX_Render.jpg
    MAXX_IZS.jpg
    MAXX_Maps.jpg

MAXX_Wires.jpg
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    awesome work Cole. Looks badass!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Oh cool, Kedhrin told me about environments he was doing for character artists. Looks like you made a great decision in presentation.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Fuckin hell this is cool! Nice stuff - and thats about all i have to say, unfortunately nothing constructive.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Beautiful! Where's Julie?!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hahaa.. nice 1 !!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, the in-game shots look great, and I love the little critters...

One question - is that the in-game model you show as 8000+ polys? Does that mean it's nearly 17000 triangles?
    Seems to me like that's fairly unnecessarily high, especially since a lot of the detail seems to be edge loops not adding any contour/volume/silhouette.

Still cool though.
  • Kedhrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kedhrin polycounter lvl 18
    great job as always konstruct!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    is that the in-game model you show as 8000+ polys? Does that mean it's nearly 17000 triangles?

Indeed- unfortunately, this was the first project Ive done in max9, and the new poly counter threw me off and I thought it was talking about tris. I should have know better from simply looking at the mesh, but I messed that one up bad so early on. I decided to just say f- it. Theres only so much I can take of "not fun grind work" in my freetime. I suppose I could still go back, optimize, and bake out all the maps to the new unwrap- but that`ll be something down the road I guess.

I suppose the primary focus of this was a rigging test. I`ve always been scared of characters because I had no knowledge of rigging and thus avoided making anything with organic deformation. If i would have known how easy the basics were, I would have been making organic characters long ago >_<
  • m.roanhaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m.roanhaus polycounter lvl 14
    Good job Konstruct, those final renders are great! As for having to re-unwrap him you shouldn't have to, at least the unskinned one at least. Just collapse the edit stack, go into edge mode, check on "preserve uvs" in the edit geometry side tab. Then just grab every other edge, loop it, and control+backspace to optimize him. It'll keep your topology in check and unwrap in perfect order. I hope that was slightly helpful. I think you could shave off a couple thousand tris that way, but if this is for unreal 3 you don't have to remove too many edgeloops. Keep up the good work:poly121:
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    konstruct wrote: »
    I suppose the primary focus of this was a rigging test. I`ve always been scared of characters because I had no knowledge of rigging and thus avoided making anything with organic deformation. If i would have known how easy the basics were, I would have been making organic characters long ago >_<

Very cool work! I just wanted to ask what tutorials or teaching did you follow to get some easy rigging done? Im in the same position you used to be in just wishing I knew an easy way to rig but never getting around to finding it. I have rigged some stuff before but it was heavy work. Im also using max 9. Is it biped?
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the Maxx is a biped,- Izs are a custom rig. I basically just followed some basic max help tuts. Its definitely tedious work though. just not nearly as difficult concept to grasp than I originally thought.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks konstruct I will get back to my boring biped tutorials then :P
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10