Home General Discussion

New TF2 Map fly-through

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
Just saw this, not sure if anyones been keeping tabs on the upcoming content add on for TF2.

The map is called Goldrush.
I think it looks hot, I love the dustbowl theme/props and am glad to see it in action on this one.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52253

Theres a whole whack of new info on the Medic unlocks and new weapons too, to me it sounds like a balance nightmare. I hope they don't go too overboard with the additions and keep things still simple.

Can't wait for em though.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The new medic stuff doesn't sound bad to me, an ubercrit team can be countered by taking out the medic or countering with an ubercharge.

The Blutsaugher sounds like a nice weapon to help the medic retreat, no crits means you probably won't be killing people with it.

The Ubersaw sounds like it may be a problem but I read somewhere that it's slower than the regular bonesaw.

Sounds like it's geared for people who want to be "battle-medics"
  • Wej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wej
    I hate what they are doing. The game was perfect, it really was. I love the medic, and the saw and needles were powerful enough. To overpowered now, and it will be harder to get into it with people who have been playing for awhile. They will have weapons that will have to be unlocked, that will be more powerful. It is going to suck
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Why can't they just release that second CTF map (remake of an old one) that was available in the beta???

TF2 needs more CTF maps :(

Oh and with achivments as ridiculous as some of those and a 100% achivment rate necessary for the Uebersaw, I doubt we will see much of those.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i like the addition of new weapons. The strategy and team tactics were getting old, throwing in different weapons is going to add a nice twist.
  • Wej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wej
    oobersli wrote: »
    i like the addition of new weapons. The strategy and team tactics were getting old, throwing in different weapons is going to add a nice twist.

True, but how they are doing it, as far as i can see, is epic failure. If you add new weapons, and i guess by achievements, you have to make it so they are not any more powerful. Sure the saw is slower and stronger or whatever, but the normal one is strong enough. If they wanted to add a new close range weapon, fine, just don't make it any stronger, just new. I thought that was what they were aiming for, but i guess not.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    theyre taking so long to be sure it is balanced, I wouldnt worry
  • Wej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wej
    Hopefully. Just doesn't sound good on the descriptions i have read.

I am getting back into oblivion, so i don't know how much time i will spend playing TF2. Once i start playing more again, they will probably have more stuff out. We will see how good they will make it =/
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Wej wrote: »
    I hate what they are doing. The game was perfect, it really was. I love the medic, and the saw and needles were powerful enough. To overpowered now, and it will be harder to get into it with people who have been playing for awhile. They will have weapons that will have to be unlocked, that will be more powerful. It is going to suck

so they are too overpowered now? how many hours play time have you had with the new stuff? none?

oh..
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Sure if ya take a chill pill wej, you'll be just happy playin. I wouldn't start screamin doomsday till ya actually play with them. I'm sure the valve guys aren't just going to release new weapons for the fun of unbalancing the game. Just making it more complex and interesting on how a team can assemble their strategy.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yes, lets all remember some key things.

One, we really dont know how the balance works out.

Two, it takes about 400 hours in medic to get the ubersaw because of the absurd amount of healing points the achievment requires, not to mention some of the other near impossible ridiculous achievements. So, its gonna be fucking rare. I play TF2 a shitload and I know I'll never get all those achievements.

Three, they aren't ending updates at the medic, theres gonna be more and more cool stuff, and probably new units eventually. I cant fucking wait.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    So, its gonna be fucking rare. I play TF2 a shitload and I know I'll never get all those achievements.

Three, they aren't ending updates at the medic, theres gonna be more and more cool stuff, and probably new units eventually. I cant fucking wait.

I agree, however it's also possible to join lower populated servers with friends to rack up a couple of those achievements. If theres anything that online gaming proves it's that whatever can be done, will be done. So some of the achievements that I might consider difficult to attain will be easily attainable to the dedicated player.

So the question is, will the dedicated player (as mentioned above) throw the balance off for those of us who play the game normally (even if we play it often).

I have full faith in the added time its taking to balance it all, but its issue to me none-the-less.

I am still looking forward to being able to unlock new achievements. Bragging rights is the new gaming experience. The ones that shipped were cool but unlocked so fast it's laughable. (except for the friends like these one, which wasn't hard once established in a community)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, some of the achievements you can get with some afk people on a server, but others... not easy to get. so, not easy.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    again, I seem to remember valve being quite good at balancing things. just a hunch, but if they managed to balance vanilla tf2 so well don't you think they would be careful about ruining it?
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    again, I seem to remember valve being quite good at balancing things. just a hunch, but if they managed to balance vanilla tf2 so well don't you think they would be careful about ruining it?
    As much as they have balanced vanilla tf2 there are things (imo) that are still slightly off. But they don't affect general gameplay too much, and I mostly notice them on servers that play 1 type of map non stop as opposed to a cycle server. So I will concede that the game is for the most part balanced.

But I mean its hard for any company to account for the social patterns of people in an online community. If they release a medic only update (not saying thats the intention) then everyone will just want to play medics to unlock things. Which might throw off the public random nature of some of the servers that I tend to join on a regular basis.

I never said valve was bad at balancing. I'm just concerned and hopeful that they will have thought of as many scenarios and balance as much as possible before releasing the content. Which is why the update has taken this long in the first place.

My OP though was about the map, which I still think looks kick ass, and no doubt with new balance and class additions, new maps will need to happen and I am looking forward to the new maps as much as I am the new weapons.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    yea, some of the achievements you can get with some afk people on a server, but others... not easy to get. so, not easy.
    Indeed. I suspect you'll see a lot of maps pop up to try and fast track the 10 million points, but even then its likely to take a hell of a long time.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Before this thread can continue I think we need to do one thing.

Take the assuemah oath.

"I pledge to assume I know more about unpublished content then the people actually making it.

I will also assume that they are complete dumbasses and not in the business of providing quality entertainment.

I will assume that their previous titles mean nothing as an indication of what they can achieve.

I pledge to assume that because they take their time, they are actually wasting it.

I pledge to speak with authority on matters I feel strongly about but know very little.

I pledge to assume that a free update to a game I already own will effect my life so significantly that I will raise holy hell on message boards and throw temper tantrums in grocery stores, whenever possible.

I here thee pledge to be an ill informed asshat and to never give up my asshattery ways!"

Now lets all talk in caps and really get this party started...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Indeed. I suspect you'll see a lot of maps pop up to try and fast track the 10 million points, but even then its likely to take a hell of a long time.
    Or custom maps won't count toward achievements. Considering they already split the sorting options its not too hard to imagine they would provide some rules/conditions for the achievements. But its more fun to assume they are blind and completely simple.
    But I mean its hard for any company to account for the social patterns of people in an online community. If they release a medic only update (not saying thats the intention) then everyone will just want to play medics to unlock things. Which might throw off the public random nature of some of the servers that I tend to join on a regular basis.
    Then you're going to have a field day being the anti-medic and slaughter them all. Some of the funnest times I've had where when the team I was on, went all one class just to goof around. But hey "everyone sitting in their base too afraid to move because the game is perfectly balanced" is fun too. I get a chance to catch up on my correspondence...

For people to venture outside they need to think they have an edge or at least a leg up on another class. Valve has gone to great lengths to make sure every class has an achilles heel. I don't think that concept is one to fall out of their heads anytime soon.

Personally I think more intro movies are long over due.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    more medics would be good imo, thats the whole point of starting with him for the upgrades