Home General Discussion

digital download for hand held systems

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
Earlier today I was thinking of some ideas for the next generation of hand held game systems. The way I see it hand held game systems are the best place to have a digital download only games platform.

My idea is to have the system have a built in hard drive and wifi so you can download games. Have a netflix+live like system where you can download as many games as you want and it’s recorded on your profile. Have it so you can store up to like ten games on the system at a time, and the ones you have played you can just keep the saves of. All the consumer would have to worry about is a monthly fee. The game devs would get a percentage of monthly fee, depending on how many times it was downloaded. No publisher just the company who made the system.

Well thats my pie in the sky idea, what do you guys think? Do you think that the next gameboy/DS will go this direction?

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I definitely think its going that way, but not for a little while longer.

Look at the rhapsody mp3 player. With it, you can download whatever song you want from the rhapsody library as long as you're in a wifi spot and have a subscription.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    We talked about this a little while ago on irc one night. Feeling was a setup like steam might be nice for downloads and authentication of purchased games.

Big problem is, what if someone does not have access to a WiFi setup? Should an adapter for the computer be made available like nintendo's wifi access point?

It's an interesting idea, but there's probably some big issues that would have to be ironed out. I don't think you can completely cut out retail and publishers. but letting users have the option for a pure digital route would be nice.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    Earlier today I was thinking of some ideas for the next generation of hand held game systems. The way I see it hand held game systems are the best place to have a digital download only games platform.

My idea is to have the system have a built in hard drive and wifi so you can download games. Have a netflix+live like system where you can download as many games as you want and it’s recorded on your profile. Have it so you can store up to like ten games on the system at a time, and the ones you have played you can just keep the saves of. All the consumer would have to worry about is a monthly fee. The game devs would get a percentage of monthly fee, depending on how many times it was downloaded. No publisher just the company who made the system.

Well thats my pie in the sky idea, what do you guys think? Do you think that the next gameboy/DS will go this direction?

It is a good idea for sure, but unfortunately you can't cut out the publisher for the same reason that bands can't cut out the music labels. The publisher will do a lot of the funding and marketing as well. If you're a big company like EA or Ubisoft you can do without a publisher, but they don't use/need one to begin with.

Also, I don't like the monthly fee thing. I HATE paying monthly fees on shit. It is the reason I don't play WoW anymore. I feel like I have to get my monthly fees worth, even if I don't feel like playing. Guild Wars model (pay once and you own the shit) = amazing.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Not so far away as it could be doable very well on the Pandora (GP2X semioffical successor: www.openpandora.org )