Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

lowpoly_2008_M3

this is my first car as a low poly project. you can take a look at it and give suggestions if you would like.... im just wondering how this thing is goning to look cool in the end. with just the plane jane shader max gives it... it looks like crap. soo hopefully ill find out what all the good people do to make there low ploy stuff look good. also im sure there is plenty of optimization that needs to be done. right now i think it is 12000 tri.

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire3.jpg

wire4.jpg

Replies

• UnsteadyTeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UnsteadyTeddy polycounter lvl 17
    Your poly distribution is all over the shop. On the bonnet for example, you've got lots of very tight edges but in other places theres much larger gaps between them. Also the bonnet has a lot of tris for quite a flat area compared to the corner that runs down the length of the car from the headlight, past the window to the boot. That really could use some more tris to smooth it out. The rear window corner, where the pillar meets the boot is very 'wobbly'. A lot of your lines are quite messy and could easily be sorted with a bit of vert moving and alignment. The front intakes are too tall and rounded. Also the bottom of the front bumper looks too rounded and the sides are not quite accurate. Your side skirt doesn't look as agressive as it should do. I'd suggest more tris in that area.
    Good job, keep going.
  • thatsmessedup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks... a lot of good information, the only thing I could possibly disagree with is "The front intakes are too tall and rounded" but ill take a closer inspection. let me see what i can do about all those problem areas... BTW you must not be from around were i am because bonnet and boot are not words used to describe parts on a car, from around here I think that would mean hood and bumper or rear.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    that's a lot of low poly poly115.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    so is your plan to meshsmooth it, bake out a normal map, then optimise you final mesh?
    what final polycount are you aiming for.
    I am no car expert, but it looks good so far.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yep that cant really be called low poly unless you wana work in film.