Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A post-apocalyptic assault rifle + a Walther PPK.

Hi, this is my first post on poly-count.

Post-apocalyptic assault rifle;

homemadeakthingthatlookne9.jpg

Walther PPK;

Sean_Connery.jpg
ppkcq1.jpg

(because I'm a huge James Bond-fan)

CC, would be nice.

Replies

• IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Welcome to polycount...

The shapes seem to be correct. Please post some wireframe shots and polycounts to get better critique. What engine are you aiming for?
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.

The PPK is 2327tris, the assault rifle is 2015tris and I'm aiming for the Source-engine.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Not sure what the source engine can take, but 2k for a gun and pistol seems very high. Wire frame would show were you spending so many of your polies.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not sure what the source engine can take, but 2k for a gun and pistol seems very high. Wire frame would show were you spending so many of your polies.

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly 2k isn't shit these days for guns as long as they aren't wasted... make the round pieces round and then optimize from there.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good. I don't think the polycount sounds very high at all in total, but I guess it depends on how efficient you've been in distributing those polygons. Considering the first person view weapons for a game like Unreal Tournament 3 is a fair bit over 10,000 triangles, you're way within margins.

I would add some more polygons to perhaps smooth out the grips on the assault rifle.

[EDIT] As usual someone beats me to it. I should know better than to go to the bathroom in the middle of writing a reply =P
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I got to get with the times then :\

If thats the case, I would make the rifle more "Apoptilitical" . When i think Post-apocalyptic, I think of Water World or Mad max: very beat up, taped together gun which has a lot of functions. To me, it just looks very clean (though, that might be your view of Post-apocalyptic. To each his own i guess)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The thread title preview said "A post-apocalyptic ass"

...I am disappointed
  • spanks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the front of the slide on the PPK is not accurate. Its more of a rounded shape that extrudes forward and wraps around the barrel.

I animate for the source engine stuff, and 2k for a gun is nothing. For a pistol its about right...but in all seriousness unless its for a mod, you can pack as much detail in there as you want.

I suggest you go over to the forums at www.cdg.net/forums for crits on the weapons. They focus solely on making replacements for the guns in counterstrike source and hl2 and such...they can give you some really good crits on the weapons...in other words, its full of talented gun nerds who play source games smile.gif
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool guns, thanks for sharing.
    Need wireframes to crit properly..
    Your guns look a bit plain to me. The grips on the assault rifle look too square. It also doesn't look very post-apocalyptic right now. It just looks like an AK variant with a unique magazine type.
    As someone already mentioned, the PPK is more rounded at the front. I always think of the PPK as being very smooth looking. Small guns like that are usually designed that way so that nothing catches on clothes when it is concealed or in a pocket. I think you should camphor those sharp edges a bit to get that effect.
    walther_ppk_ud.jpg