Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Help

I have had my site for a few months, but I never had it critiqued by anyone so I figured I should probably get at it. So here is my website

My basic question is about quality and quantity. What do you guys think should stay and what do you think should go? I sometimes get a feeling I should just trash all my models and start over, but that will take a good amount of time and I would like to have models to show for potential employment. anyway, thanks in advance wink.gif

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I certainly wouldn't trash all of your models. If I had to can one model, it would be the alien model. There doesn't seem to be very much consistency in its construction. The Z-Brushed High-poly model doesn't really seem to have all that much in common with the low-poly model. Moreover, it doesn't really even look like an alien from the front, just a very messed-up human.

I actually really like the wild-west ogre. Definitely a different and appealing take on a common modelling arche-type. The torso you sculpted also seems to be quite good, you just need to continue working on it, and post your progress as you go. You are addressing most of the models in the proper fashion, complete with in-progress shots and wireframes.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I tend to agree, I wouldn't toss all that much.

I like your mercenary model, but lose the "action" shots. The posing is poor and unless you had something awesome to show, it's not worth it. You're better off just showing the model & texture.

I also agree that the alien doesn't read well from the front, and the profile just looks like he had his head bashed in.

I'd say you like characters, and are decent at them, so I'd lose the environmental work.

And lastly, the main thing is just to finish some of your pieces. I think you have some good starts, but very few seem finished.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Hey dude...looks good for the most part.

I find some images in there kind of silly...
    -The Mercenary sort of standing next to the Humvee. Pose him or dont you know
    -The Zbrush page with a torso and a head that's displayed on another page already

Otherwise I'd suggest just replacing things you dont like as you add new ones. No reason to trash everything.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Ambient Occlusion, you must bake it.