Home General Discussion

Sakson & Taylor?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Have any of you heard of this place before? They seem to be a consulting firm of some kind, like a pseudo-head hunter.
They contacted me in regards to a contract art position available at Turn10 studios. While at first glad to hear the news, I'm a little apprehensive when it comes to dealing with head hunters like this. There's always some sort of scandal or shady deal going on behind the scenes.

Just wondering if any of you have dealt with or heard of these people, and whether or not they're legit.

Thanks.

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I don't really like recruiters but these guys are legit, they're one of the bigger companies in the headhunting biz
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I would like to know if anyone has dealt with them. I also got contacted by them for an opening in the Seattle area. However I wasn't too sure how I felt about them.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Jeffro mentions them in this thread...

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...true#Post280282

search is your friend tongue.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well there ya go. I just n00bed myself wink.gif

Thanks, JDinges.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    I just did a phone interview with them today, and it went pretty well. They use Max which is my software of choice so I'm excited for that, all though it would be nice to get a job with a company that uses Maya just so I could learn Maya better. smile.gif
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I got the same offer for Seattle today. I'll be interested to see how it plays out.

Dang and for a second there I thought I was special. smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I almost took a contract with them to work on a really big title, I went as far as doing an art test but backed out of the face to face interview because it meant giving up my FT job to take a 3mo contract, with a baby on the way it wasn't a smart move at the time, they totally understood and once I said I wasn't interested they left me alone. A year later I'm still tossed up as to weather I should have taken it.

If I ever end up looking for contract work, I will be calling Sakson & Taylor. Chris Lee the person I dealt with, put me at ease about working through them and left the door open for me to contact them in the future if things change. I was really skeptical at first and I wasn't sure how they got my name/folio but after talking to Chris I was relieved to find out he was human, professional and didn't have plans to run off with my kidney... If you're looking for contract work these guys are great. I haven't talked to anyone that had a bad experience working through/for them.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent guys, thanks for the info. Was exactly what I was looking for. smile.gif
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I worked for them when I was on contract at Microsoft Games. Msoft actually as a weird rule in that they can't hire contractors directly, but must go through a third party. S&T and Artsource (now named something different) are the two big contracting companies that funnel artists into Microsoft games.

Sakson and Taylor seemed fine when I dealt with them. I suppose it all depends on the representative whom you are dealing with, but I had no problems.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My rep is McCarty Sewill?
    They sound pretty reasonable from what all of you have said, so I fired a response off to them. It's a 1yr on-site contract for Turn10.
    At least it would be a foothold in Seattle.
  • Psychon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psychon polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah the company is legit. I had to go through them when I was working at Bungie. Had no issues with them. They pay your paychecks and handle your medical insurance and all that stuff but aside from that don't expect much more.