Home Technical Talk

Level 4 to 5 mesh 'splode

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TWilson polycounter lvl 18
What gives? I can think of work arounds ..and I'll probably end up using them. But this stinks.

-Imported my mesh
-Roughed out some stuff at level 4
-Divided again...
-BOOM!

Notes: SubTool for eye balls, two layers.

zbrush_is_still_a_baby.jpg

Replies

• TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Oh side question - Why does Zbrush break every UV edge?
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I've had that problem. Does scaling the model down help?
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I've had that problem before...but those spike things came from my eyes----they had some tris in them. The trajectory of those artifacts seem to be from areas that could have tris....that's my thoughts, otherwise, I'm unsure of what could cause that problem.
  • realityV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks like the common problem when point order is changed. You must have exported at division level 4 at some point and changed the vertex order on import. Obj exports are not the same across all apps. Max in notoriously bad at obj export. Get and install the Guruware obj exporter if you are a Max user. http://guruware.at/main/index.html

Its hard to recover the exact model when this happens. When this happens to me I simply use the lower res version I cleaned up in Max/Maya and

1)import as a sub tool of the highest level detailed version,
    2) save a morph target,
    3)divide the new subtool an appropriate number of times
    4)go down to level 1 on that subtool and "switch" under the morph target pallette (this retains the original shape rather than killing it with smooting)
    5) go back to highest division for that subtool, Make sure it is below the Detail sculpt you made and "project all" under our subtool pallette.

Now you detail is projected on a brand new mesh with multiple division levels. The the old tool is obsolete but you've got a new awesome clean mesh with nice topology and Uv's laid out.

good luck
    ~sG~rV