Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 2D - dfacto - Erebos

dfacto
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dfacto polycounter lvl 18
Time to make a few sketches and then never finish! Again. crazy.gif

Actually, since this year's DW has a 2d category I think the chances of me finishing are significantly higher, but my laziness will have something to say about that I'm sure.

First idea, Invoker: A genetically engineered embryo, twisted with Polycount's vile magics, constructed to make use of an ancient super-compressed starship warp core that acts as a conduit between this realm and the void; a place where everything returns to nothing, and where nothing can become anything. Using this weapons, McEmbryo can make up for his obvious lack of mobility or battle strength by creating things around himself with void energy. Shields, weaponry, legs...
sketch1copykv0.jpg

Replies

• vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff man, I like the atrophied limbs smile.gif
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Please do put the time into finishing, you're stuff is so weird and creepy, I love itloveit!
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    I loOove it! really interesting! smile.gif
    hope to see this finished! good luck!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll try to get something done this time.

Head study for fun. Not really what I'm looking for, but whatever.
    mcembryoheadsketchwb1.jpg
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goddamn tablet sucks and PS was being grumpy with the RAM. mad.gif

Monk with a Void Hat. Same idea in that he can create stuff with his magical hat. Not really digging the monk, but the magical headgear idea has potential. Can anyone say Void Sombrero?
    toosexyformyhatly1.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vamanos!

Bit of time, little head study. Not sure if I like the way this thing looks when not viewed from the front. Might have to think up a different head altogether.
    headsketch2it6.jpg
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Interesting design.

-dfacto- "Goddamn tablet sucks and PS was being grumpy with the RAM."

This might help you Photoshop Run faster/Better if you have not yet applied these settings:

In Photoshop go to EDIT > PREFRENCES > Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks: under Scratch Disks: Change your First: to be your main harddrive. example mine is my C:\

Then at the top where it has pull down minue called Plug-Ins
    & Scratch Disks click the arrow next to it and select the "Memory & Image Cache" It will bring up more settings. "Under Memory Usage" it will say "Available Ram" this is how much ram you currently have on your computer. I usually put my "Maximum Used by Photoshop" settings on 60% because I need the rest to run basic programs and my 3-D applications. If you don't use 3-D applications you may want this higher. Click "Ok" to accept these settings and then restart Photoshop for these settings to take effect.
    I hoped this helped, that is if you have not done it yet.

I really liked the paints on the top concept, face looks sweet with the long nose.

DOWIII Entry
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips Slingshot, PS is running smoother now after I set my RAM usage higher. smile.gif

more head:
    headsketch3ay2.jpg
    headsketch4pw7.jpg
    headsketch5qi1.jpg
    headsketch6ea1.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    they are realy freaky..

loooooots of eyes smile.gif
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks rollin, freaky is just what I'm going for. Doesn't feel freaky enough to me though. I have a certain look I want, but the mental image I've got is way too vague for me to pinpoint.
    headsketch7ge8.jpg
    headsketch8ad9.jpg
    headsketch9ha7.jpg
    headsketch10sw3.jpg

Trying to see what happens when I put the Void artifact (which I'm gonna call the Void Furnace)in the head.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Floating facial features over the artifact? I'm not sure where to take the head. It's pretty important to the character I think, but can't nail anything really nice down. :/
    headsketch11tv3.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    liek n° 3 and 7 but without the metall-stuff

the last one is a cool idea but kills too much of the face imo
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    First of all awesome! I really like where you're taking this, the floating geo, the age, it's almost like part of him has dissolved into the void. I'm not a big fan of the noseless ones. I like this last one a lot better, the silhouette and his eyes are strong IMO.
    I think much rely on his expression like what does the void, intead of a brain, make him feel? Depressed, happy, excentric, sick?

Keep going man smile.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    love that last one, jesus so much character !
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. guys

Glad people like the last head, since I think I'm ultimately gonna go with that one. I like the idea of free floating/rotating parts. Lets the face be twisted in creepy direction. laugh.gif
    headsketch12td3.jpg
    headsketch13zo4.jpg

The twisting in question:
    headsketch13mobilityla9.jpg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    woot for the polycount summary thread, otherwise i don't know when i would have seen this. great work building up textures and disturbingly abstract facial geometry.. the void furnace is looking appropriately menacing as well. can't wait to see you develop this.
  • christinavee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking wicked awesome. I love the bloodstained bone look. It's so metaaaaal! laugh.gif Seriously, though, go with those floating faceparts. I may or may not have nightmares about that tonight. I also like what was going on with the metal anchors on the Void Furnace in one of the drawings...makes it really look implanted...but that seems like it will limit how many parts can float where. Decisions decisions!