Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first human model

Hello there!
This is my first attempt at a human model, my goal (apart from learning in general) is to import it into XNA as a game character.

If you have any advice or crits please let me know grin.gif

SideNHead.jpgShadeHead.jpg
FrontView.jpg
ShadeView.jpg

Thanks!

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    shoulders are too wide, upper legs not fleshy enough or too tapered.
    not a bad try for a first model though
  • boyd600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! i have had a go at following your advice Ruz, heres a quick update

FrontAndSide-1.jpg

I think its starting to look a bit better, im not sure about the density of the mesh though.

Thanks again, if anyone has any more crits let me have it! grin.gif
  • vertexguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a decent start for your first attempt. The profile is a lot better than the front / back, but there are some issues that effect all your views. The easiest way I can think of to identify them is to take this reference sketch below and overlay it on your model to see where it needs adjusting. One thing no one has mentioned yet is that from the front his feet are way too small and straight. In terms of poly distribution, there are a lot of wasted polys in the chest and head area. Start low and define your most important curves and build up from there or you will quickly find yourself with lots of cleanup to do later on.

Image Reference
  • WickedFingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea the shoulders/arms are further out than they should be (causes that wide space under both arm pits).

In the front view the length from the knees to the foot seem shorter than the view from the side profile. You might need to scale the vertices (in the front view) under the knee in towards each other a bit. The vertices going up and down the shin area should be straightened out also (no curving motion) smile.gif

Other than tweaking a couple things you did nicely... It being your first human model smile.gif
  • boyd600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Thanks everyone for the advice, i will tweak some more and post another update on saturday when i finish work smile.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    side profile is great.... I would even push it a bit further but that's just me.

the front profile is what's lacking here. the shoulders stick out too far, the hips are thin and stiff looking, the torso is a little bulbus.. the top of the torso is very straight and rigid..

the side profile is nice and flowing, but the front profile is very stiff and combersome. i'll bet if you got some interesting reference and pushed the curves and shapes of the body from the front view, this thing would start looking pretty fucking awesome pretty fucking quickly.

I did a really quick paintover for some ideas for making the front profile a bit more interesting. i just did the torso, and I'm not so good with 2d, so take it with a grain of salt. I hope you don't mind...

PAINTOVER
  • boyd600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Thats a cool paintover John_Warner.

I have tryed to improve the model a bit but i think im going to have leave him as is for the moment, i would quite like to unwrap and texture him now, otherwise im not going to be learning much.

Thanks everyone for the advice its been really helpful!

FrontAndSide2.jpg

So this is my latest progress not much changed really, but as a learning experience its been useful.

If anyone has any more problems they would like to point out please do, and i will try to post any progress i make with texturing ooo.gif

Thanks again
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the changes you make are too small, grabb those arms and move them around,

put your img and the paintover ontop of eachother and see what you need to move.