Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII_Jimmies_Errr...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
I don't have much idea of how to do what i'm about to attempt, but that's all part of learning, right?
Anyways, I have about two ideas;

1. Invoker character, looking similar to David Bowie; Except with a torso filled with insects that provide him with life beyond time. Artifact would be his left eye, which is actually just a magically charged marble with the polycount symbol.
Also, an arm made of insects (if it's within rules), and Slits on the side of his face (for insects and cigarette smoke, Iichi the killer style)
However, I'm considering just moving him over to flame or void, and forgetting the insect idea.
(Blowing fire out of his cheeks, kinda lame really)

2.A stereotypical 50's mother, (doesn't really fit the whole time era but, what the hell)
Basically made infertile by governmental industrial zoning near her home. Somehow stumbles upon ancient parasites which she believes to be like her children, but they actually just control her for their own obscure means.

And a third idea;
3. A gypsy looking guy, curly mustache tall hair, carries a massive coffin on his back which contains the bones of his god, and also having a giant chain or something on his neck.
Maybe instead of the chain. He'd wield a mannequin leg.

Both ideas are more than likely going to go through a fuckload of revising, and I haven't really started sketching yet.

Input, help?
Anyone?

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Potential with 1 and 3 I think. 2 is a cool idea but may be difficult to work into an entry suitable for DW.

The insect hive guy sounds like the most refined idea you have so far and could work well. I don't think I've come across any other similar characters on our side at least.
    reference-wise there are a couple of anime characters that come to mind - Mushizo from Ninja Scroll
    http://comunidad.anime.com.ar/galeriadeimagenes/ninja/mushizo.jpg
    and Shino from Naruto.
  • neosorcerer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neosorcerer polycounter lvl 10
    Mother with mutant baby children sounds awesome, substitute in some victorian clothing and change "governmental industrial zoning" to "evil empire biomagical weapon testing."
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like i said, plenty of revising is going to be done, but....
    Fuuuuuck
    I can't get any of my ideas straight in my head.
    ANY OF THEM
    Somewhere along the lines of wanting to make the bug guy it evolved into just some leech like creatures with several large cylinders sticking out of it's head, magically charged and what not. After that I drew a cossack guy wielding an anchor, and then went back to the Gypsy guy, but now I don't want to make the gypsy guy because I have an entirely different idea for that character involving immortality or some shit not even related to the dom war.
    Even with that idea I can't get the shit straight, all i have is a bunch of images and vague ideas I can't seem to coherently stitch together in my head or on paper. Which essentially means i'm probably going to drop all three ideas i have right now and go with something easy without too much thinking, and work from there.
    Unfortunately no scanner and all drawings are on paper.
    Still, i'm going to do drawing shtuff vary soonly
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As of now my idea is as follows;

I'm going to go with the bug guy.

Name: Wanderer
    Class:Invoker
    Element:Summoning

Long, long ago, a man was scraped from the gutters of his home world, and given the honor of piloting a new type of spacecraft into unknown parts of space (Read; Kidnapped and forced). Unfortunately, within minutes of his arrival to the fringes of space....
    The ultimate weapon launched, effectively destroying any chance of a successful return home.
    This was 1000 years ago.
    Unchanged by the passing of time, and playing host to a powerful parasite granting him life beyond time...
    He returns, bearing only the cold glare of solitude, and the name of his now obsolete vessel;
    Wanderer.

Basically i'm going for a sort of unnerving looking guy, who has bugs crawling out of him. Like I said before, i'm kind of planning on making him a bowie look alike, but obviously plan on changing that quite considerably.
    Sketches to come;
    Etc.

• greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jimmies, I have the same problem you described sometimes. Cool ideas in my head, but a cluster-fuck when I put them down on paper or polys. Usually I find breaking the design down to whichever element about it I like best and rebuilding it from there is the ticket. I usually end up axing half the design ideas I had to begin with, as they're just impractical.

Looking forward to seeing your sketches of the bug dude, don't be afraid to throw up any other random ideas you sketch or the original designs you mentioned. The more the merrier!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    llelelechhecfeh.png
    I got the fucking thing scanned after selling my soul to multiple devils (Now i'm in debt)
    I bring you this picture...
    Anyways, the idea is that the hook would serve as a type of weapon, used to impale things, particularly squishy things, as the little leechy guy thrashed about.
    He also has no arms. Now, as for his magic...
    I'm not exactly sure yet, this is just a sketch that I happened to like a lot more than my current idea which involved too much thinking and not enough drawing on my part, for some reason.
    Mainly, I need some suggestions for what he'd be wearing.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm considering having some sort of rope attaching him to a large, floating island of some sort, however that just seems stupid.
    Another idea of mine is that he has some sort of device much like a bubble blower on the hook, and blows bubbles.
    OF EVIL
    but i don't know how a leech would blow a bubble.
    The other plan I had was to have him with a storm cloud overhead, so he could summon lightning to electrocute the hook lodged firmly in his cranium, making it much more painful for victims.
    If i go with the cloudy idea, then I will most definitely make him wearing a purple poncho of some sort with large poofy pants, a lot like M.C. Hammer, but probably closer to a black mage. (Think ViVi, FF9)
    The polycount logo would probably be on his zipper, or in a polka dot pattern on the rain coat.

Background would be as such;
    Long ago, a project was started; A device to control the ever changing climate of the planet, left unstable since the last war. Development suffered many delays and budget cuts, eventually being forgotten to the public. Finally, years after it's first unveiling, the shoddy project launched. First came success, and the people below prospered.
    Gradually, the machine went through a familiar spiral, as it's systems failed one by one. Fearing the worst, all the planet's inhabitants left at an alarming rate. However, before the entire population could escape off world, it exploded, releasing toxic chemicals into the atmosphere, which have rained onto the planet ever since.
    Where there was once a beautiful planet, there was now an acid scarred reminder of past times. Slowly, new creatures emerged from the wastes, living off the dead and dying from previous centuries.
    The Leeches.
    This particular leech is sent on the most sacred of tasks;
    To replace their god.
    The death of the god occurred on the anniversary of this leeches' ascent from the planet's rotten muck, so he naturally has the blame passed on to him, and therefore the responsibility of finding a new god.
    Supposedly, his adviser says, the way to do this is by entering the brand new wormhole to the newly awakened world.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Its certainly an interesting idea. The problem with aleech is that it doesn't really have much in the way of form. Its more or less a black, amorphous blob. Thats not to say a leech thats evolved to sapient level would necessarily be similar, but it'll be a tricky one to design, I think.

A Lamprey might be a good reference point.
    lamprey-300_tcm18-39592.jpglamprey.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i've been looking and leeches are harder to represent as bipedal creatures.
    I'll call it a leech for sake of aesthetics, but model the mouth and suck things after a lamprey.
    However, I'm not going to give it eyes;
    I like the idea of him thrashing about randomly and gouging at things with his hook.

What I really need help with is how to make the hook appear lodged in his head, instead of it looking like it's floating behind it...
    Anyways, I've been thinking all day while at school, and I've gotten more ideas...
    1. I've toyed with the idea of a lackey of sorts, almost like a caddy, but instead carries a large sack of straws for draining victims of their blood.
    2. Having a support troop that does the magic casting, however I don't really like this idea as much.
    3. Giving him arms, so I can make him carry stuff, although I can't come to a aesthetically pleasing connection point....

However, I will most likely just push the idea of a singular soldier with a cloud of magical lightning following him about, though this is subject to change.
    Also, any tips on how to make his hook or various other stuff look more magical? I'm sort of stuck in that sense, as well...
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my head I see amazing things, vivid snippets of living idea.
    However, it is beyond my current ability to reproduce them accurately, and that realization pains me.
    I take it, that this is a sign to practice drawing?
    And such is a must before tackling a task as large as the dominance war.
    Any ideas where to start?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I'm by no means an amazing concept artist, but I do know how to draw. I feel like I am finally becoming able to draw the ideas in my head after struggling with it for the past year (I stopped drawing for a while).

My advice is to do more traditional stuff for a while. Practice drawing anatomy from pictures and things, and after a while you will begin to see how things fit together (muscles and so fourth). Everyone needs references, but once you get the basics down such as lighting, volume, and so on, then you will be free to draw what is in your imagination, and you may even stumble across some great ideas as well.
    It can be disheartening, when you see all the amazing artists on this forum who seem to effortless throw crazy idea after crazy idea together, but they too were in your shoes once. Like I said, if you just keep drawing: really anything, you will get good rather quickly.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I was planning on taking an anatomy class next year.
    Plus, it comes with a coloring book for every, like seriously every, part of the body.
    So that'd be good, but as for now I plan on drawing. A lot.