Home Technical Talk

displacement maps

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
garriola83 greentooth
why do my displacement maps make my characters look like they got stung by bees? i make them using zbrush and crazybump btw. and im also using mental ray to rendahr. can someone clarify on how to use these effectively. thanks! confused.gif

Replies

• Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Screenshots might help us to see what's going on. If the maps look alright in CrazyBump and zbrush, then a guess might be that you've got your displacement turned up too high in Mental Ray?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Some rendering solutions use grey as a midpoint, some use black as a midpoint. What are you rendering in? Depending on what it is, you might be able to use a math function or output modification to change it.

For example, if your renderer does it in, say, 3DS max, then in the materials editor go to the Output rollout fo the map, enable curves, and simply move the 'black' endpoint to -1 instead of 0.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    [ QUOTE ]
    Screenshots might help us to see what's going on. If the maps look alright in CrazyBump and zbrush, then a guess might be that you've got your displacement turned up too high in Mental Ray?

[/ QUOTE ]
    im using 3ds max btw. the displacement just doesnt look correct, as if theres a push modifier applied to it, i turned it to 1 and theres little change, then when i turn it up to 5 it blows up.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    [ QUOTE ]
    Some rendering solutions use grey as a midpoint, some use black as a midpoint. What are you rendering in? Depending on what it is, you might be able to use a math function or output modification to change it.

For example, if your renderer does it in, say, 3DS max, then in the materials editor go to the Output rollout fo the map, enable curves, and simply move the 'black' endpoint to -1 instead of 0.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i'll try that thanks!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    valandar it works now thanks! cant wait to tell all my friends! wee!