Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

school assignment - Spaceship?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
Here is a model from my latest assignment at school. This is my first normalmap assignment. We got to choose whether we wanted to make a vehicle a character or a level, as i like to model and texture mechanical objects i choosed to do a vehicle.

The limit we we were given was, 25000tris, 2048 for every map. this is the specs for vehicles, i don't think i want to go all the way to 25000, rather hold me to ut3 specs, around 14000tris.

Anyway this is the highpoly in it's finishing state, would really like some crits though i don't have that much more time to lay on the highpoly so i'm not sure if i can do any mayor changes.

Still have many shading issues and the front is quite empty, as for every parts purpose and how this thing would ever fly is still a mystery, in reality the fans on the side is just a cover up for the magic stone that makes the thing fly :P

Im doing the lowpoly at the same time and i hope to get some crits on it as soon as i get some pics up, thanks smile.gif

UREMaUBFO.jpg

ySMiSSXZt.jpg

MhbCfqQIZ.jpg

Replies

• Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Nice. Let's see that low poly dog.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i was expecting something entirely different from what the title implied. nice model!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet model overall. Couple things bugging me though.

Looks a bit too Manta like in the thrusters. The propulsion setup seems off for a spacecraft. Looks like it would be unbalanced and since its a 0g craft the thrusters would hardly ever point straight down and if they did it would push the rear up.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah this is really hot.

I think the thrusters are fine. Maybe it flys at a slight angle.

Can't wait to see this baby finished.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Really well defined surfaces and all...why not make the character for the vehicle...
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody: Yeah as soon as possible "Dog" wink.gif

killingpeople: Ahh yeah the title contains all the evidence off a nooby model. "school assignment" and "spaceship?" witch kinda implies i don't have a clue what i'm doing :P i'm still just a first year so i guess it's kinda true though.

IronHawk: Oh no you have figured it out :P actually i have been looking some at the ut3 models smile.gif mostly at some others but the manta as well. yeah i don't really know why i wrote spaceship, i want it more like a future hover kind of aircraft otherwise the person riding it would also have a hard time breathing hmm, i would want it to lean forward a bit when flying, but dont forget about the magic stone :P.

JesseMoody: Thanks, actually i wanted it to fly leaning forward, hope i can finish it soon, i only have this and next week to go so i have to hurry :P.

pliang: Thanks, characters isn't really my thing but i don't know what my next assignment will be so you never know smile.gifWouldn't mind doing one more hover thingy hehe :P

Thanks for all the comments, getting some good crits makes me wanna work some more hehe laugh.gif hope i can show you a finished model soon.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do a lot of manta mowing wink.gif

Best of luck finishing up on time.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe yeah maybe i should pimp this up with some custom mowing equipment :P.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some lowpoly i've done today, not so good with lowpoly so please give me some crits, i also did some changes to the back and the front of the highpoly, blocked out some sort of engine in the back, hope to come up with something until tomorrow.

Thanks for all the crits so far smile.gif

QIhydTQZL.jpg

SOqpunbrc.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    really sweet HP, the low poly looks good mostly but some areas need tidying up, tri-fans and optimisations at the sake of nice clean poly strips. also there are a few redundant edge loops in the seat

cant wait to see it baked, got a nice poise to it
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit SHEPEIRO, i'll look into it. It's hard to know what will turn out bad or wrong when you haven't done it before. should have done some more barrels and stuff before getting into this, hope it will turn out ok anyway :P
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i have to say sorry for not posting any updates, acutally i didn't have much time left to finish this and didn't have time to follow up on the possible crits i would get. So yesterday was the deadline the texturing was done quite stressed so i hope to redo it when i have time. I hope to get some crits and ideas on the texture, hope it will turn out better so i can have it in my portofolio.

Thanks and good work to all other people from my class that have posted their models

dUkXgzHGO.jpg

ECgXOBXey.jpg
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    looking nice im not digging the color scheme though. u think you should make it look like more of a military type ship. look at warhawk,and frontlines fuels of war for some inspiration on the colors.

http://skattertech.com/media/2007/08/warhawk.jpg
    http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/imag...27001815727.jpg
    http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/imag...27001815993.jpg
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i have done so much military greenish before so i tried to force myself to do something else, so i thought it could be more of a desert kind of hover, but i know what you mean.

Thanks for the refs.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    Very cool, I love it! Good job! grin.gif
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Cool texture! The only things that stand out to me are the red pipes in front of the cockpit, and the seam in the seat. I'm sure this is a wip, so w/e. Nice work man, good design. Just needs some spec awesomeness.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i know, the pipes stand out quite much from all the dirtyness, maybe ill dirty it up and just let the red shine trough on some places. as for the spec, it's already quite specked but it's hard to notice in a still image. but still i have alot to work on. Too bad there ain't no time for old work, maybe ill cut down to 3hours of sleep instead of 4 :P
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't done any big updates just sharpened some hard edges in the texture, thinking about starting from scratch with the texture. made a turntable, but it had to be 1mb so it turned out quite shitty :P but i'll post it anyways.

tNyzfWsLh.gif
  • vertexguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work. I really like the design of the ship. The only crit I have would be to work on giving the different parts more contrast in how the light behaves on them with your spec map and diffuse map. If you use a spec color map, that would help a lot. Everything is pretty low in saturation. Rather than see you up the saturation uniformly, it would look much more realistic if the saturation pops through based on the lighting / spec. Can't wait to see the finished product.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi thanks for the crit Vertexguy smile.gif, yeah i have been trying to get more contrast by higlighting the color shifting in the color map, im new to specular and haven't truly understood it yet but i'll give it a try when i have time smile.gif thanks.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Looking great!!

You could give the red painted part a bit of a red/orange bright hue in the specular, it might give them an extra push. also I would recommend tweaking one the two tubes linking to the little tanks, so that they are more natural and asymmetrical.

Very nice!
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    That thing is badass, I want one.

Some very good work here, especially for something that is a school assignment.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, I like it! Nice consistency and believability in the texture.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    this is an awesome vehicle. kudos
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    looks awesome, for being in school this is very good. great portfolio piece!
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow i was really happy to see all the positive feedback i had gotten trough the day. This really makes me wanna perfect this piece. though i like how the design turned out myself the technical parts of the process wasn't really perfected and it's hard to go back and redo, hope to do what ever i can though.

Thanks for all the comments i really appreciate to hear
    the views of some of the forums most respected members smile.gif

Pior: I'll try that pior smile.gif thanks for the tips, i thought i would be better to have the red not give so much spec to have a bigger contrast between metal and the red. I'll try with the orange, i guess specular is very personal how you do it as i can't seem to find any views on how it should be done or tutorials on the internet.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Quit school, go look for a job is what I say smile.gif

Really nice craft and I like the colors, a piece pulled off very well imo.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha way to early for that, i'll be happy if i even get a internship next year, the competition is hard.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great job on this Jonas.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    no ur gonna get one, if you apply in time. This is kick ass! post some large screenshots from Maya, the turntable is to fast for me frown.gif
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    seriously, screw the internship thing. I`m with pestibug in saying you could definitely get a job with this. Knock out 2-3 more pieces like this for a portfolio and i`m positive you`ll find work. DOOO EEEIT
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I really don't understand that 'quit school, you could get a job already' attitude.

Sure, Jonas skills are already up to industry standards and with the well known tendency of schools to lag behind chances are there might be not much more for him to learn. There is also the risk of being overwhelmed by crappy unrelated tasks since the courses sometimes mix up the diciplines in a weird way.

BUT school is a great opportunity to meet other artists and maybe develop things in a original direction. (plus, school=parties=girls=sex).

And most important, even if a gameart degree weights nothing when it comes to getting a job since the only thing that matters is folio content quality, it DOES have weight in the outside world. For instance if you ever need a visa to go and work abroad for a bigass company you will benefit from having an art-related degree/certificate to help paperwork.

Just my two cents, from personnal experience and from knowing people who regret their decision of dropping out of art school.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    good point pior

great job jonas, looking forward to seeing more from you

maybe you could get yourself some money through contract work to pay for all the parties ... and maybe the sex wink.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    well said pior ! I got my degree in 2004 so it's pretty recent and even if my art school wasn't as great as you can find somewhere else it really allows you to explore/work for yourself/find your style and damn, that's important ! I'm glad I got the chance to have this little period. Working for yourself is so much more difficult when you have to fill the fridge, take care of a family, etc. So take your time wink.gif oh and nice model Jonas smile.gif
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i don't understand what's up with the "quit school" thing, I'm happy for every minute i can be here and i also think every minute is necessary,

have been studying maya here for like 7 months and ain't no where near ready for a job nor do i think i would get one, this course is only a 2 years course and the second year is for internship, really wish i could study for 4 years as many others do. i wished my education here would be longer, the education here is very up to the standard of the game industry and i learn something new for everyday and assignment also my class rocks wink.gif

Thanks for the tips Pior too bad having a gf holds me from the girls and sex :P also studying as a 3d artist doesn't really make you the coolest guy on the dance floor :P.

anyway im really happy for all the crits and praises smile.gif hope to post some updates soon, though i have a shader assignment plus a character competition and a game project to do :P.

* ah hi there pontus smile.gif I'll do that in the next update.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Certainly hope Jonas stay in school! We are all having alot of fun here and learning alot from eachother. After reading alot of the negativity towards game related education im really suprised (im sure Jonas is too) because the school we are currently attending is great! Also here in Sweden we dont pay for our education so makes no sense to drop out before you are done tongue.gif

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=2&Number=268597&page=0&fpart=1

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=268920&an=0&page=0#Post268920

Two other students in the same class as Jonas.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    PSQ = PlaygroundSquad? I worked with a guy who graduated from there, he was (and still is!) a very good game artist ... and judging by the rest of you guys, they are still turning out skilled Swedes smile.gif
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i heard someone from here worked at Splashdamage, I'm glad you think so Mop, i hope we will be alot better when it's time for us to do our internship
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    it's good to see that Sweden's got some schools producing some serious contenders ^_^

Fortsatt knega! ser jakligt stabilt ut.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks martin, i though you were my classmate Martin Henriksson at first, both from sweden, same name and same initial letter in the family name :P awsome.
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
    Nice with all the feedback for us lowly students, now I have to update my post tomorrow aswell laugh.gif