Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII: 3D: Skek: Clericon: 3D mesh update

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
getting a move on for the dominance war project... poly count represent'n... i didnt participate in the previous war.. but with the amount of variation of character design and dev.. we could practically make a game out of something like this... hats off to fredh and all who helped develop this years war.. here's my progress in the concept art:

blackbetty7zb4.th.gif

blackbetty5qc2.th.gif

blackbetty6io4.th.gif

lots of work to do.. but will be fun as hell and good luck to those participating..

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Great start, mate.
    Good luck.

-caseyjones
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    thanks man.. appreciate it

here's a quick color version i whipped up this afternoon..

blackbetty8hz8.th.gif

i'm kind of torn between whether i would like this character to be an invoker or a warlord... because i have an idea for her magic infused weapon to be based off of a lacross stick.. where she could gather whatever the magic essence of the world is.. however.. she's wearing some hefty armor that has potential to cause some serious damage... and i also have her on roller skates... so her momentum plus combat skills could prove very useful... she could also use the lacross stick to whap on foes or shoot a magic projectile.. i donno.. just a few ideas i've had in mind.. tell me what you think !!
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    haha... yeah.. i got this idea from when i went to a roller derby recently.. one of the girls was called black betty and the song played.. thot it would be fitting.. :P
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    roller skates! nice
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    she's wearing some hefty armor that has potential to cause some serious damage...

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess its hefty armor if you also consider bikinis to be formal wear. like 75% of her flesh is showing.
    i like that you gave her old school roler skates and not those trendy rolar blades all the kids are skootin around on dagnabit
  • EnErgEstEr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lollerskates! very cool design man.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    looks like she's wearing a big metal strap-on.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    looks pretty good but i think you could flare her armor to exaggerate her silhouette...
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    haha.. no it's not a strap-on.. i'll have to paint that part better.. it's actually the sheathe to her weapon.. strapped to her backside...and yeah i'm seeing where needs to be more contrast in her sillouette... the hardest problem i've had is the detail work of the large boot.. but i think i know what i want to do w/ it now.. i wanted to add rocket boosters to the rear of them, but he rules shot that idea out the window.. i'd like to try to come up w/ some kind of thruster that she can activate through magic.. and of course i need a bit more reference for the skates.. make them more accurate.. thanks for the comments.. and when all is said and done, i'd like to add some kind of funky helmet too..
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    here's a new update to my concept.. still in the works.. and i mean to add a mask as well as her weapon artifact...

blackbetty10og6.gif
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    pretty much looks the same to me bro...just a color shift?
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    not so much a color shift.. i meant to keep the color scheme similar for now.. but since i'd like to make her element dark, i will be doing a separate color pass on that.. i also changed up the line work on both her legs.. trying to finalize the form on the big boot as well as match up the other side w/ something a bit more slender yet unified...
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    i got jealous of some of the immaculate concepts and i think i may scrap betty... or at least have her as a back up.. but i think i may want to do something outside of JUST a human...

concepts go!

birdraceconceptsjb5.gif

more on the way... it's a conceptual kind of day...
    peace
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    want to go a bit more simplified.. w/ a realistic toonish twist... if u get my meaning.. saturated colors.. yet rich in textures... and i dont usually do animals or creatures.. so this will be a learning experience for me..
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can try to do some silhouettes to help create a popping toonish stylized character. Stylization is all about shapes and forms, then you can paint in the textural detail in a color comp to bring it to life. Maybe think about some of those CG kids movies like Monster House and the like for inspiration for a rich textural look? Keep it goin, looking great.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    hey all.. decided to change up my concept art.. did this today.. and thanks for the good crits so far... decided to focus on strong silhouette and build up in grays... feels like sculpting already... hope u like.. here's my process and the build up to what it is now...

skek2hy0.gif

skek3fq3.gif
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    im not sure how i feel about the bird with man hands. maybe make the hands more like bird feet, or feathered like the wings. other than that i will have to wait for the next iteration to get a better feel of where its going.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    okey doke... i've been working on it for liek 7 hours straight.. my brain is a bit friend.. and i still need to get sleep for work tomorrow.. but i was so stoked about this guy that i couldnt stop til i thot it was at a good stopping point...

basically i decided to take the route of creatures as opposed to humans.. i guess in this case.. lychanthrope.. and he's a chosen the path of the clericon.. i guess i chose birds because they are strong and graceful and he could be associated w/ angels or other pious creatures w/ fowl tendencies... i think that's what i really wanted to show in my previous concept: betty.. bu the point wasnt coming across to me, and the design just seemed generic.. so i'm focusing on silhouette, and simplistic design.. bold shapes and the pious character of the clericon.. in a nutshell
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    hey all.. did a paint update to my drawring... i'm no fine arts painter but i'm pretty pleased w/ this so far.. if anyone has any paint application methods, or theories, or links about them to learn about them i'd be greatly appreciative... peace

skek4qv0.gif
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    still need to work out some stuff.. and gonna work out his weapon more.. a lil generic.. but i think i have an idea..
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    hey all.. here's a 3D update to my character.. the base mesh.. did both the schematic views and the base mesh in 3 hours

skekprofileslu1.gif

skekbasemeshdp7.gif
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    hey all.. basically have my base mesh down now and i have the weapon to sculpt out yet.. mesh is running about 6.2k tris so i have a little bit more of room for the weapon.. and just to clerify... for the weapon.. does the artifact have to be one w/ the weapon, or the element fused to the weapon?.. i read over the rules again and i wasnt sure of what it meant about the artifact.. or the combination of the artifact, and the weapon or whatever.. so i'm about ready to start unwrapping and texturing.. here's the screen shot update

skek5fc2.gif