Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - bounchfx - Untitled

mod
Looking forward to this! Going to be really busy lately irl with gdc and starting my first industry job but I definitely want a piece of this.

Will try to get some concepts up tomorrow.

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    bleh, anyone have any good tips or tutorials on how to do the silhouette thumbnail things for ideas? every time I try to do those it just comes out terribly.

currently im trying to sketch them out via pencil and it just seems so wonky.. guess it's just practice, but if anyone has anything that would help I would really appreciate it.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    for thumbnails its best to just let loose, just put our pencil to paper and let your hand do its thing. after you got some scribbles try and let your eyes see shapes in the scribbles and try to capture that to a small sketch.

Another way is to create a custom brush in photoshop, for example a blade like silhouette and scribble a bit trying to find interesting shapes.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    alright.. some thumbs.. there were a lot more than this but those were even worse XD. tried a little of the shape thing and i don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what but it doesn't seem to help me much.

are you guys all drawing with ideas in your head? because I just try to shit stuff out of my brain and it doesn't work too well, I have a hard time translating ideas to paper.

anyway, you can see i tried a few different techniques (as best as I could) both hand drawn and via ps, going to do a bunch more because there's really nothing that stands out to me.

I was planning on doing a warlord or invoker ice or electricity.. but it doesn't really show in my thumbs. Bah I say!
    dwc1.jpg
    dwc2.jpg
    dwc3.jpg

any tips, suggestions, or comments are very welcome and appreciated!

also going to try to spruce some of the hand drawn silhouettes up in ps, as well as try the painting in the silhouette thing
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good start, I think the first set of silhouettes read the best, maybe when youve "spruced" up the rest we can comment more. I definitely find ps silhouette drawing easier with the eraser and transform tool things are much more adjustable smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    if you're having trouble coming up with ideas, try overlaying several of your concepts on top of eachother in photoshop at various angles and opacity and try to let your eye come up with interesting shapes that it picks out. Then just draw on top of it. Rinse and repeat. You'll get some interesting stuff.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    2 and 4 (from left to right and top -down)
    are cool
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    some more, I think I'm improving.. done for the night.
    dwc4.jpg

first one is my fav, and for some reason reminds me of Zangoose (pokemon).

I'm really liking the idea of a spear type weapon with ice as a power

once again, any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated