Home Technical Talk

Looking for a Tutorial on painting grunge layers

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
Is there even such a thing?

I don't need an explanation of what it is, I don't need to know that nothing is perfect and everything should have wear and tear (to some degree blah blah). As in a lot of tutorials for texture creation just make the texture and then say "lets scratch it up by overlaying this texture with some scratches". That doesn't teach me much.

Although I'd like to know how people get crisp images using millions of overlays (ok may be not millions). I find that if I'm overlaying photo-sourced images I can't overlay much more than 1 or 2 before things just start to look pixelated and WAY over noised.

I'm looking specifically for something on TECHNIQUE. Paint styles, brushes, types of colours, what works what doesn't etc. To add stuff like mold, dirt, trim, water damage etc. Some tips and tricks to properly overlaying images is key I think. How do you mask off specific areas of an overlay without creating hard edges or obvious spots of cleanliness. Or if my metal texture is already multiple layers and I need to add scratches but adding an overlay of some scratched metal picture just pixelates everything and I lose the detail.

To me it's not good enough to grab some sort of grungy type brush and stamp some dots on my texture and call it dirt. I've seen recently some of the new guys here attempt to do that.

Is this even a reasonable question or desire? I just seem to be at a standstill with some of my texture creation. I know what I want it to look like, but when I try to achieve it it either looks way too noisey or way too fake.

Replies