Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

zbrush Anatomy Study

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
timwiese polycounter lvl 9
Since I had my first life drawing class I have been trying to learn the human anatomy.
I decided to start sculpting a naked male body in zbrush, in order to truly get down the forms of the muscles to learn where they connect and how they flow.
This is my first attempt at doing a muscular male body in zbrush.
The hands, feet and head I haven't started doing much with yet.
I'm not so sure about how the back and forearms look, those are probably my biggest problem areas.

Please comment and critique my work.

AnatomyStudy-1.jpg

Replies

• Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Pretty good work, though on the front-side the hips look like they protrude a little too much.
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Arshlevon's basemesh?

Reference study, reference study.. Do that until u think it matches the male body. I see you've started to put in the main shapes, so don't go into details yet, until u feel that you've nailed them. Cos i see some strange rashlooking muscles on his shoulders/forearm.

From what i see now, u should make the hips bigger, define the trapezius muscle, avoid those crazy holes he has in his neck on the sides. And take a good look at a bodybuilder or something for reference on the abdominal area, because now the stomach muscles look a bit flat and not really realistic.

Otherwise nice start dude wink.gif
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on the model some, fixed some issues with the shoulders. Cleaned up the neck a bit. I still need to round out of the ab muscles a little more they still seem a bit flat. I also reduced the obliques a bit as they were protruding a bit too much.

Thanks for all help guys. Hopefully I can get this to the point of starting to detail today.

AnatomyStudy2.jpg
  • merlyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start, I think that allmost all of the muscles could do with further shaping and the hands and feet could do with some time spent on them especially, the torso is getting there. You seem to understand anatomy pretty well so I am sure that if you put the work into it it will turn out great.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looks to me like you are subdividing too soon. You need to work as much detail as you can into each subdivision before going up to the next subdiv. As it stands things are looking pretty muddy and washed out, I can also see that you are not giving all the areas that need detail attention before you subdivide. I know its tempting when you are working on an area to up the subdiv when you reach the limit of detail for the current subdiv but you must move on and do all the other details first before you go up a level.

Don't be shy with the tools, be bold with your sculpts, you can always smooth them down a bit if needed. Exagerate your forms then tone them down after, you will get a much cleaner more accurate sculpt that way.

Good luck.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the advice guys.
    Xaltar: I really like the tip about how I should over exaggerate then later on I can tone down at higher subdivisions if I need too. That sounds like it would work better then the current way I am working since each time I subdiv I have to reshape the forms.

I started on the head and hands a bit. I haven't gotten to detail small things like veins yet, and I am still sort of unsure about how to go about that.

I don't think I will work on this one much longer, probably only a couple more days then move onto something else, I feel I want to do something with much more exaggerated in muscle size since I'm finding this one a bit boring at the moment. nakedguyNewrender.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    The deltoids are sorta just disappearing into the upper arm, and their characteristic shape isn’t there.
    The ears are nice smile.gif