Home Technical Talk

unable to select vertices in UV Editor

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Hito interpolator
in max8 some vertices become unselectable in vertex mode, but still selectable by CTRL-A; edge or face mode.

what's going on?

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Try playing around with this pulldown dialog. Sometimes, for some magical reason the verts get positioned along a different axis than the UV, so you have to play around with it. I honestly don't know why or how to repeat it, but I believe if you switch to a different coord you will be able to get your verts back.

uvhr6.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Do a CTRL-A to select all, then type in "0" in the W field at the bottom left (shown in Ott's screenshot). You shouldn't have to change mode at all, it's just W values getting thrown off hugely, I find the easiest way is just to reset all verts to W = 0, it won't mess with any of your existing mapping and it's probably the fastest way IMHO.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Thanks for the tips!
    huh, why does max do that though? is there some hidden shortcut that throws certain vertex way up or down on the W?

I ended up deleting and recreating the affected faces to fix it. but I'll remember this for the future.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think it mainly comes about when using the "Best Align" planar UV mapping thing - possibly some way it calculates the mapping plane when it applies that throws off W values. I only ever notice this issue after using Best Align.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    It happens with unfold mapping all the time. If you select all of the faces, right click, copy the vert data, and then paste the vert data, it fixes it as well. I find this slightly faster than zeroing all the W values because I don't have to move my left hand laugh.gif