Home Technical Talk

Laptop BIOS video system Shadowed

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
pliang polycounter lvl 17
My brother has an issue with his laptop...

Apparently when he tried to start it up today...the laptop locked up after displaying this message

Video BIOS shadowed.

I tried going into boot by hitting ESC but I got nothing as the screen just freezes..nor hitting F2.

Also before this stuff happened...a few days ago the comp would make weird buzzing sound and some beeping noises when operating. But it doesn't lag in between or go to BSOD.

Has anyone encountered similar issues before ???

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    If it says that it's shadowed your videos bios (iow copied the rom data from the gpu to system ram) and then locks up it could either be a ram, gpu, or bios issue. try pulling the ram chip/s and see if you get any results. If you have more then one try pulling them individualy and/or swapping them bettween dimm sockets. If you still can't get anything you probably have a serious problem that won't be simple to fix.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I personally never have really tried pulling components of an OS and I am sure it is more serious than that...I just found out that the fan (Located below the laptop) has stopped working.

Apparently he tends to have the notebook sit directly on a tabletop and just run it like that so prolly the system has overheated as well.

I'm gonna have him call pur technician today and see about that.

My brother is also on his last year of warranty for the laptop so if its way too big of a hassle we're prolly gonna just get a new one...