Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Very LowPoly stuff for an indie project

_Eclipse_
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
_Eclipse_ polycounter lvl 10
Ok, the stuff i'll show you there are very stupid models, i'm not a 3d artist, i'm a coder but i like graphics and i'm going to do a one-man indie videogame.
It will be a Populous\Settlers sorta were the player will control a space colony and I hope to give to it mainly an interesting multiplayer mode rather than a single player.
As you can see it will have toon graphic, but will feature also a lot of gore.

One of the proud astronauts that will populate the game, it will have a spheremap blended on a simpler texture instead of that stuff on the visor, texture is also wip for this one
168h7k7.png

The first stage of an alien lifeform (atm called Xenos but is a wip name), it will host inside a living body like Aliens chestbuster but it will came out from the head, make it exploding
20giash.png

Here's the second stage of Xenos lifeform, the third and last one will feature a tail and a scissor-like pair of blades near the mouth
xbz95x.png

now i hope to find the time to start also some coding too laugh.gif

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I actually like what you're doing...except for the little alien life form it would be nice to make it more similar in appearance to an insect larvae.

At first I couldn't tell what that is.
  • McKertis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hope to give to it mainly an interesting multiplayer mode rather than a single player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww, thats too bad. Today its like 99% games are multi, its so predictable, and what are people like me supposed to play in ? smile.gif
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it will feature also single player smile.gif it will be exactly like a multiplayer match but with objectives and an interesting and funny plot I hope... i'll just start with the multiplayer because I need to make a good structure for both modalities :P

thanks pliang, actually the larvae serves only as chest or head buster, the aliens will infect astronauts, then if not examined and cured the astronauts infected will cook a larvae inside, then it will came out and became a stalker.
    It's basically a sort of worm, animated will be better i hope, or simply i'll redo it, that model was done in about 15 minutes or less :P
    I used that for reference http://www.mondaymorningmuse.com/archive3/maggots.jpg for the mouth i wanted 4 opening lips so I ended with that red thing, i think i'll do another pass to the texture to give it more shape but first i want to reach my first personal milestone: all the assets for a small playable demo inside my own 3d engine wink.gif
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, larvaes actually have that purple thingies because they enlarges to form that crabby armour in stage 2, i did also a mid-stage pass that i think i'll use in a morph animation (not as a full character), you can see it in the last screenshot.
    it's a sci-fi game so I like to give a bit of credibility to the stuff also if it's in a toon style laugh.gif
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Reminds me of this guy! One of my favorites, I love it!

415624310_d2f83c20ea.jpg
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol nacire that's fantastic, what's that? laugh.gif
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the aliens. The little worm one could look cooler, maybe if it's mouth had like 2 little claw/teeth things or something. smile.gif
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Blaster Master!
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol yes you're right, how stupid am i? laugh.gif
    i love blaster master 2 for megadrive

oh and i'll add the teeth to the worm!
  • Defeat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha cool stuff man, is there any type of tut on how to make cell shaded models, i know very little on how to.
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this isn't real cel-shading because cel or toon shading is done in two phases:

1: the outline, like mine or simpler, it could be done or via shader or doing something a bit "fake", you can simply take your model, copy it, scale it using something that moves your vertices along your model normals, reverse the faces, and finally make all the copied model black, you will end up with models very similar to mine, but with your polycount multiplied for two, because you will have actually two models, one reversed and black for the outline and the normal one

2: hard shading, i'm not using lights in that screens, only the astronaut have a lambert light.
    Almost all the games that uses celshading uses a flat lighting tecnique that almost simplify the light in "color bands". Basically the rendering engine took only few colors to do all the lighiting, making the object look toon-ish, like that http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Toon-shader.jpg
    To do that, you need a proper shader, but i thing that a normal soft lighting works well too with outlines, giving your models a less "warner bros" style but keeping a very nice toon effect.
    It could be done also making a 1D (a 10x1 pixels texture for example) with a color scale applyed as spheremap to the model, then a shader would calculate the proper uvs.

Keep in mind also that effects like the Team Fortress 2 render are not cel-shading, they used very realistic techniques with phong and lambert passes, only tweaked in a way to resemble a pixar-movie-like effect
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the style going on with the characters.