Home Contests & Challenges Archives

LPC #05 - Valandar - UT3 Slaine

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Valandar polycounter lvl 18
Marking my spot. Gonna try to re-create Slaine (default loadout) in the limits. Gonna givehim a Link Gun, 'cuz I like autofire energy weapons, too.

Replies

• Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp, got the base mesh done, and started on the texture. DEFINITELY gonna fix that purplish cast to the face, tho.

The weapon is still unmade. Prolly gonna wait on it until I finish the figure as a whole.

dsut301.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... umm... any crits so far? Polygon flow suggestions? I know I need to 'tighten up' the detail on the face...

dsut302.jpgdsut303.jpg
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    It's hard to tell from the size of the referance but the head in the ref looks a little longer and I would increase the size of the hands. Also you seem to have some strange use of polys on the chest and you can remove some a few from the head. You could also drag some verts around on the pevlis area and round it out a bit more.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The chest polys are an attempt to give the silhouette a vague similarity to that central 'divot' on the hi-poly version's chest. I'll enlarge the hands and mess with the pelvis some, tho. laugh.gif
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dsut304.jpg
    Okay, stretched the head slightly, and made the hands bigger. I also started vague line work on the mesh, to place where the various panels and edges are. Still got lotsa work to do... >.<
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Ha, It´s getting there. grin.gif

I´d say lose a few lines in the head.
    They´re not really adding to the silhouette and spend them rounding out the boots and the torso.

Everyone can see that it´s a boot, but if you move around a few verts and use more triangles it can be a lot more interesting to look at. grin.gif
    Here´s what I usually do:
    dabootol1.jpg
    The way I did it here has about 25% more triangles than your boot...I think...don´t quote me on that. laugh.gif

Not saying you need to do it my way, just a hint.
    Keep going!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My only problem with that is the rigging at such a low level - I have the knees set up the way I did so that when the leg bends,there's little to no collapsing at this low-level. Same thing with the arms.

Also, the head is the way it is because an earlier iteration had fewer polys on the face - and it looked like utter crap. I slowly added polys until the head didn't look like crap anymore.