Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kerberos Unit, Nextgen character

closeu10.jpg

Hi There! This is my first post here.

Here it is a model based on the Kerberos saga and Jinroh animated movie done during freetime for my portfolio. Hope you like it .

*Polycount: -Character: 5717 tris
-Backpack & Weapon: 1683 tris
-total: 7400 tris

*Textures: normal,spec,diffuse: body 3x2048, head 3x1024, Backpack & Weapon 3x1024.

*Software used: Maya 8.5, Photoshop CS2, UVlayout, Crazybump

Rendered in Maya Hardware

post_p11.jpg

High Resolution
here

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    For the poly count resolution that seems very good...but since the textures are so dark its hard to see the details used with the 2048...

I like it though.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yeah - i am not seeing a 1024 on that head. what was your reasoning behind giving it that much?

any chance of getting wires, flats, etc? nice model
  • HEx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HEx
    OH, a jin roh inspired character, i like it!
    on a personal level, i think you should tune down the silver edge tearing, but it's no biggie. It's cool anyway laugh.gif
  • CerisierEnFleur
    I've took the Gears of war models specifications for reference (3x 2k textures for head 3x 2k textures for body, 11k->12k polys). I have planned to Downsize the textures a little more but seeing this huge specifications ive let it be this way.

In an other hand, great texture size is good for the normal map and giving the illusion of relief (and then have a decent polycount), more useful to have a big texture for normal than color/diffuse for this model yeah.

Thanks for comments and crits, it helps me to improve my works further in the future wink.gif

PS: i will post some wires if you wish, what do you means by "flating"? Textures maps screenshots ?
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    yes. flats=textures
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    cerisier: Not to sound rude but gears only used 1 2048 map not multis ?

were where you pulling your source on that info?
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    yeah. i agree w/seforin. i know for at least the main locust dudes. they create 2 2048's....and then bump those down to 2 1024 for the ingame model.
    from epic gdc a while back.

081ih2.jpg
  • CerisierEnFleur
    i've just seen this info in the Unreal editor stuff and looked into the gears of war pc version models and textures (pretty instructive to analyse the epic works). I dont know about the gears specifications, Only about characters.

If it is just a texture size problem, it can be downsized in a second anyway, its good to have a too big texture than a too little one... what about the others stuffs ?

thanks for informations, i'm still learning to make lowpolygons models, it was just my third lowpoly then smile.gif
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Okay, now I don't really feel comfortable about criticizing a model that looks as sweet as this one does. But that is kind of what these boards are for. (among other things) So here goes...

I think the hands are too small.

Proportionally speaking, the hands strike me as being very small compared to the rest of him. Now, this might just be a natural contrast brought about by the thickness of his armor. Or perhaps by the size of his helmet. But at first blush, I can't help but feel that the hands look a bit on the titchy side.

Aside from that minor quibble, this model kicks ass. I've always loved that character design anyway, and your representation of it is quite detailed and appealing. The polycount seems perfectly reasonable for the kind of finer details that you are getting. (hoses generally eat up the polys) The texture work, though dark, is very solid. (and that character is supposed to be dark) Excellent work.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yeah solid work, my concern, aside what has been cited previously, although it's also part of the problem is that your metal needs some work, it doesn't read as metal to me, the edge weathering is too even all over the piece, that should be only in places the metal can actually be scratched, maybe also more subtle. The specular itself needs work IMO, unless your lighting washes everything out, it needs more color, contrast and more details on those worn out edges, look at johny's WIP thread if you want to see how a great specular on metal looks like.

as richard said, proportions are a bit wacky, but should be quite easy to fix.

Je chipote, je sais, bon boulot quand m
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Eclipse_ polycounter lvl 10
    it's a very nice model here!
  • CerisierEnFleur
    Richard: Agree about proportions, there's some little things to correct.

Vahl: I've already heard the same crit about the metal texture from my students teammates. maybe there were too much scratches zone yeah. You speak about "johny's WIP thread" for a good specular map example, interesting, where is this thread ?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.johnyontehspot.com/johny/

Now its not his official wip thread but this is a collection of his best work in his website.

Edit: Oh wait, nvm
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=2&Number=243388&page=1&fpart=1
  • CerisierEnFleur
    Wow, really nice texturing and weapons, thanks for these references it will helps me a lot for future works !

The wires and flats will come soon. stay tuned.
  • CerisierEnFleur
    Here there are some wireframes and textures sheets:

wiresf10.jpg

Only the gears textures sheets are missing:

textur10.jpg