Home General Discussion

Writers' strike; People playing more games?

Ryno
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ryno polycounter lvl 18
Might the Hollywood writers' strike be a huge snafu on the part of the writers' guild? If people are anything like me, I've almost stopped watching television, and am playing a lot more games. I'm guessing many others may be doing the same.

How might this affect our little games industry? Might casual gamers who are hardcore TV watchers suddenly become hardcore gamers who are casual TV watchers? I think that this is a strong possibility.

As you all know, there's a bit of a barrier of entry for some newbies to start playing games. They don't know how the controller works, don't understand basic game mechanics, etc. But with so little new entertainment on the boob tube right now, could some of these folks make the leap and become gamers? It's very much a possibility.

I'm thinking this strike could bite Hollywood in the ass. It wouldn't surprise me if the game industry siphoned off 5-20 percent of the TV watching market for the long haul.

Have any of you found yourself gaming even more than usual? How about friends and family, particularly the entertainment junkies that you know?

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I don't know what I should be happier about; the prospect that people are watching less TV in general, or the prospect that they are playing more games instead. I'll just settle for being happy about both.

Personally I haven't really watched any TV for a couple years, so I haven't noticed any change in my habits because of the writers' strike. Games > TV, forever.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    My wife doesn't watch tv, and before we met all I watched was a few select shows (Daily Show, The Shield, Rescue Me, Sunny in Philadelphia). After we got married and began living together, I took up her habit of never turning on the idiot box. We watch less than 2 hours of tv a week, and most of the time we watch even less than that (maybe turn on discovery while we eat dinner). I don't miss it at all.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    what exactly am I missing on tv? crappy reality shows? reruns of decent shows that I've seen 300 times already? movies that have been edited and letterboxed to ruin any sort of shot composition? I'd play games too if those were my options :P

but between kung fu practice, trying to draw more, work and trying to learn more 3d outside of work, I got no time for games or tv, sadly.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i don't watch tv because i don't get a single channel, but it's always amused me that people extol not watching television like some sort of virtue, or that people who do watch it are less because of it.

it's like someone bragging about not reading books. oh wait, no, books are for smart peoples. i guess it's like not playing video games.

i hope a new crop of good writers emerges and work for less and create better shows. fuck the strikers. that'd make me laugh because i don't know any screen writers and don't care

edit: on topic, if more people are using their freed up time to play video games, all the better. they're more engaging and often have more interesting stories/characters you can easily become attached to without having the fiction broken when you see that same actor selling diapers. i think this can only do good things for our industry.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I can tell you that I'm watching a hell of a lot less TV since the writer's strike, but I'm not substituting with games. I actually tend to do more computer/internet stuff. My semester just started again, so I also have more homework to fill my time. My wife still forces herself to watch shit on TV just to occupy her time, so it would still be a battle to take over the TV to game.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    TV is soooooo last millennium...

passive entertainment makes me feel like a sheep. I hope it does ween some people off the smack that is TV.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Bah, I mainly watch the Discovery Channel and they've been premiering new shows and new episodes of my favorite shows. Combine that with my new Tivo and I'm watching more tv than I used to :-P
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Since I stopped using cable my Tivo's been put out of commission...spending more hours on the internet now and then.

As for gaming, that's what the TV's now used for.

Oh yeah, less TV = Hit the swimming pool.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I think I've actually been watching more TV...I'm kind of addicted to those lame Miami/London/LA Ink shows. I stories these db's come up with are hilarious. I have reinstalled Civ 4 though...but I don't think that's related to the strike...It's because of me talking about politics to friends.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    I love TV. Right now is the best time for TV with shows coming along that are, to me, better than most movies.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I'm just happy that there are new Episodes of The Daily Show, and the Colbert Report. Sorry, but a Current Event show doesn't do too well with Re-runs.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I honestly don't remember the last time I watched tv for more than 2 hours.
    Even if I DO watch tv it's usually for cartoons, and more often than not an episode i've seen a million fucking times, so I skip it anyways and go back to playing games.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i dont watch tv simply because i dont get it into my shitty room frown.gif i just watch some selected series and thats enough for me. Hate to be spoon fed publicity bullshit in annoying volume.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Wow you guys are cool for not watching TV.
    How can I be like you? frown.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I watch, although I kinda make my own programming.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    How can you not watch tv? With classics like American Gladiator it's hard to stay away! smile.gif

I hope people stop watching and they stop making crap. Unfortunately thats never going to happen. While I don't care too much for the writing in a lot of things it's not necessarily the writers who are to blame. The producers won't take chances on different scripts for fear of a show/movie tanking. So the writers are ASKED to write crap because thats what will pay the bills.

I definitely have been gaming more and I'm more motivated to further my portfolio! But I've also found the Daily Show and Colbert Report to be as funny if not funnier than they were previous!
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    viewership doesnt seem to have dropped drastically overall, but thats because they've had new episodes of some things still being aired. we'll see how it is in a few more months when there are no new episodes of anything non-reality based, but i anticipate little change since the vast majority of the american public are content watching reality television or glorified commercials.