Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Cartoon Style Character

hey guys
just wanna thank everyone who helped with the handheld wizard i posted a while back. appreciate that one laugh.gif

anyway this is a character. targeted at the old unreal engine 2 and is as you can see based on a cartoon style.
sorry i can't post any concept sketches but my scanner is refusing to play with vista. crits welcome. many thanks
dave
3viewbw8.th.jpg

Replies

• conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    lots of polys on the body, which could easily go to his weird face=)
  • Daaaave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok cool thanks. it was mentioned that his hands looked a lil small too. i'll post updates when i can. many thanks
  • BassAckwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man do you have a poly budget or anything? because as conte mentioned there is alot of useless polys...also even if it is a cartoon, cartoons still follow human anatomy proportions look at any cg animation, from the incredibles to TMNT, to meet the robinsons, all those characters follow proper human proportions that deal with arm length, leg length etc etc... your arms are a bit short and the legs are kinda wonky...but its a good start since your a bit inexperienced (no disrespect intended)... the guys on poly count will give you good advice which you should generally always at least consider... oh yeah also reference! reference! reference! if your new at modeling and dont know your anatomy go grab up as much referance as you can....keep it up man looking forward to more posts...
  • Daaaave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the limit was topped at about 2000/(2500Max) tri's currently its bout 2800. some work is needed to tidy up the hands as they are killing the tri count.
    i hear you on the proportions, i've since lengthened the arms. thanks for the advice:D
  • Daaaave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    strip1zl9.th.jpg

here's an update.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I'm guessing from your model that you're going for a child like character. Any idea what specific age range? From the current model, I would think 11~13. Anything younger, (usually) has a larger head than the body along with exaggerated hands and feet. Think (an extreme example) Bobby from Bobby's World. He had a huge head, and I think he was about 6, or 7? Since you're going for a cartoony style, think of something like that, depending on your age that you're shooting for. If he is supposed to be 11-13/14, make his proportions more gangly and awkward (ya know, that teenage phase were everything just looks misplaced). If you're going for younger, bigger head.

Looking @ this animation wise, you'll need to rework his wrists (he doesn't have any right now), his knees, and his pelvis. Those areas look like they'll have the most problems deforming.

Lastly, your edge flow is very very linear. When creating an organic shape, make your edge flow....flow, for less of a better work. Add curves to it, like that of the human/biological figure.

Keep working it---practice makes you better.
  • Daaaave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback kaoticvisions
    you were spot on with the age range. i still need to have a play with the wrists, knees and pelvis to rework them for the animations. where do you think the problems will be in those areas?
    here's the unwrap of the character. this is at 512 resolution. the finished texture will be at 1024
    uvwtest2lt2.th.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For his wrists, I think you need to add them first. :-) It just goes right from forearm to hand---no impression of a joint in between. You also (and you already said this) need to re-work those hands, because the poly flow in that is going to screw you royally when you rig it.

Pelvis, you'd want the lines to go up @ an angle, like that of a basic human (the pelvis bone is angled up---you want those loops in your model to match that. Check some male reference, preferably one that is in decent shape, so you can see the general "V" silhouette of the pelvis that I'm referring to.

His knees are a bit confusing to me, partly because, well I can't see them. Are you not going to be able to see the knees, or are the shorts just that low?? Either way, I think you'd need to construct some knees for him, under the shorts. That's just my solution though, and I by no means claim to be a rigging/animation expert, so the other polycounters can help you more in that area.

The elbow joint seems like it will work well however. Also, do note what Bass said about the anatomy---he's an anatomy whore and he's dead on about your proportions.

You didn't ask, but I like unwrap theory in general, so I'll crit that too while I'm here. I want to say that it could maybe be a bit more effect. Have that square piece lower in that space between his arms and hand, and maybe squeeze the feet in there, you might be able to get more space for the face (which, generally, is the most important part of a character).
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    On a side note: In regards to the UVs...once you've optimized the model itself...it would be better to shift the face to the corner of the map as you can put the relevant parts next to it as well without choking up the estate on the page.

That way you can have the shorts and the shirt squared out on the other quadrants.
  • Daaaave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats kaoticvisions and pliang for the replies laugh.gif
    here's a rework of the hand.

newhandrf9.th.jpg

hopefully this should work better. thanks for the crits on the UV's too. i'll update the texture as soon as the mesh updates are completed. i'll work on the knees and pelvis now.
  • Daaaave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a rework of the leg

legreworksb7.th.jpg

i've added more curve and poly's around the arch of the pelvis and added a knee under the shorts(which have no bottom so will have to be a 2 sides texture). the shorts have an extra loop to aid the deformation when the lower leg lifts
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much improvement. Are you going to actually rig the fingers though? If so, you'll need to add more loops on his knuckles.

You still need to add a wrist and move those calf verts down for a more organic poly flow.
  • Qu33nB33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stop Staring: Facial Modeling and Animation Done Right
    by Jason Osipa
    This is one of the best books for anyone that wants to make characters right. He has great advice on how to utilize poly flow and edge loops for proper animation. Check it out.
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apocalypse polycounter lvl 18
    I 2nd that, only problem is it's price frown.gif
    A good investment though
  • Daaaave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the advice on the books guy, really appreciate it.

here's an update on the UV maps so far.

uvwtest4vf7.th.jpg
  • Daaaave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here you go guys, an update on this character. hope you guys like it. any crits are welcome laugh.gif
    cartoonrendercopyxq1.th.jpg
    texture1024copy2el0.th.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You may want to edit the texture on his elbow...currently, it looks like he's healing from stitches...good progress though.