Home General Discussion

Real-time softbody mesh deformation (Real Matter)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
www.realmatter.com

PRetty awesome really, especially with the possibilitys it opens up for video game animation and violence.
I'm thinking a zombie game with underlaying skeletons using that system, it'd be pretty damn awesome.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be awesome... if everything was made out of gummy candy...
    It's a good idea, and a nifty tech demo. Anyone that takes it to the next step has their work cut out for them, but it shows promise.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    i showed this to some of our programmers. *crosses fingers*

laugh.gif
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also consider the possibilities of mixing this type of shit with endoprhin's physics based animation.
    I am.
    The images i'm getting my head are all awesome.
    Helicopter crashing into a crowd of zombies?
    Car slamming into a brittle zombie shattering it's spine while it's flesh tears realistically and showers a crowd of survivors with it's infected blood?
    A fucking chaingun against one of these bastards?
    Imagine the possibilities.
  • Smithy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol this is messed up.

zombie2da0.gif
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow looks amazing, but does it work with rigged characters who have AI and all the rest going on? that would be a true test, being able to shoot holes in a giant beast as it jumps down and you from the 3rd floor and then pulling out your knife and slashing its arm off when it comes at you with its claws...oh yeah smile.gif
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you click the link at the top, and watch the video, they have a video where the have a baby made of the material with an underlaying skeleton watching a ball go back and forth, and it worked just fine.
    Imagine building organs and shit under the skeletons as well, like squishy intestines and everything
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thnx Jimmies, just watched that one. It doesnt seem to be animated using "traditional" rigging, it doesnt animate much at all, just sort of wobbles in the general direction of stuff. Id still like to see something rigged doing like motion captured running and diving...into a spike or something, then I will be sure that this will work for games smile.gif.

That voxelization thing they are doing...can they do it to solid objects like buildings and give each voxel a really solid weight instead of making it all wobbly? then we could have fully destructable buildings...like shoot out half the first floor and the whole building falls sideways and destroys itself and any players in it laugh.gif
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you noticed, with the Buddha example, you can set how rigid an object is. So i'd imagine you could do buildings.
    But as far as animation, i'm not sure how it would work unless you just switched to realmatter as soon as the character took damage, otherwise i'm fairly certain running would tear the character to shreds.
    Though, like with the buddha thing you could set how rigid and how durable the flesh is (They also have a 2d demo where you can see for yourself)
    i'll have to look more...
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sadly, yet not unexpected, my first thought was how to use this for better, real-time breasts.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It would actually be a lot harder to use this with rigid objects like buildings. Buildings don't shatter like jello, they break apart in a different fashion. using this system for rigid destructions probably wouldn't work, or be convincing.

However, the possibilities for organic deformations is fantastic. The baby demos proves that it can be effectively combined with rigged skeletons. And if you can have a user trigger bone animations, you can certainly program those animations into your software. I can just imagine a 3rd-person game like Rune using this for damage modeling. Head, arms, and torsos getting lopped off in a realistic fashion. It doesn't even matter if it looks kind of "squishy." Combine it with the proper art direction and it would go over real well.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Should put this into out 3d apps for BETA testing before going to the engine as well...

Does it work fine when say you want to pile things on top of each other and have it behave simultaneously?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe I just noticed that the demo video says "3D Models by Aubrey Serr" - that's Ninjas!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    lol....I just read it as well.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, in zombie chinko the bodies stacked...
    But yes, some people should get together and make a rune clone with this, but with multiple limb capabilities (Stealing other limbs and attaching them to yourself for MASSIVE DAMAGE)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Ha, just noticed that myself, Mop

cool
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    [ QUOTE ]
    sadly, yet not unexpected, my first thought was how to use this for better, real-time breasts.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats not sad at all!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well, in zombie chinko the bodies stacked...
    But yes, some people should get together and make a rune clone with this, but with multiple limb capabilities (Stealing other limbs and attaching them to yourself for MASSIVE DAMAGE)

[/ QUOTE ]

There should be a another rune game regardless. I mean, it would be pretty awesome to pull off someones limb and see the skin stretch and tear uniquely and then beat them over the head with their lost appendage, as killing people with their own arm was always the funnest thing to do in multiplayer.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    that stuff is a year old already btw. The paper was for last years siggraph, but even before he was working on these things. and always remember that people have to put in their papers like half year before the actual conference for review... then add another half year for actually writing it wink.gif
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    LOL the guy who made this goes to Cornell!
    ANDYBERNARD.JPG
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hehe I just noticed that the demo video says "3D Models by Aubrey Serr" - that's Ninjas!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was wondering why that name sounded familiar.

-caseyjones