Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Marlon Brando Bust

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slainean polycounter lvl 18
I decided to do a character bust so I could finally familiarize myself with creating proper normal maps.

I picked Brando because I think he's interesting, and I won't have to be bothered with concepting a cybernetic vampire hunter or whatnot. This is my main reference:

003xo7.jpg

This is what I have thus far. It's about 1.5 million polygons, and if I subdivide any further my pc will explode.

This is my first time using mudbox and I'm really impressed with it so far. I'll probably redo the eyes in max, and the shoulders will be done separately. The hair will probably need some alpha planes to avoid helmet hair syndrome.

brando1yg8.jpg

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    It's a good foundation I think, it just needs a great deal of tweaking. At the moment he looks more like a weird cross of Brando and Cole Hauser.

The eyes are all wrong, you eliminated the layer of fat that is about the eye, look at the photo, do you see his upper eyelid?, you see a small bit of it right at the tear duct peaking out of it, granted he looks as though his head is slightly turned downward, however, Brando has a fairly heavy brown

Look at these other photos of him:
    http://static.flickr.com/44/119015714_20cf3b04d6_o.jpg
    http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=77089&rendTypeId=4

the layer of fat above his eye is almost a separate entity in its own, even when he was young it was like that.

I also think his head may be too narrow.

Like I said, you have a good foundation, and now you just need to tweak the forms and proportions, probably shouldn't have already started on those fine little details yet.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    lips need to be way bigger. needs stronger cheekbones too
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Not quite there, but off to a good start. Agreed with previous comments. Ears need more work, the shape is a bit odd. The area between eyebrows has the strange cavity that goes all across the forehead, and the nose is oddly shaped, especially at the bridge. You should put some emphasis on the bone structure of the nose and especially the area above the eyes, as mentioned earlier, because I'd say that's one of Brando's landmarks. With the way you have it, the eyebrows are too low. Also, the smile line should go higher up, so just pull the side of the nose where nostril area starts further up. The crease under lip and above the chin is too emphasized, soften it out. The lips could use some reshaping as well. But nevertheless, you're off to a very nice start, keep going.

Oh, and you'll want to check out this page and study carefully those images.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God - Yeah, I'm definitely aware of the eyebags. I couldn't nail down the shape, so I started doing small details to delay myself. It's strange because that layer of fat protrudes over his upper eyelid and covers part of his eye. It's hard to work with a mesh that overlaps like that, but it's a big part of his look so I'll have to revisit that.

Ruz - I'll try to address that.

fogmann - Thanks for the link, I was having trouble finding high-res refs. His forehead does cave in a bit between the brows, but I've made it less emphasized. What is it about the nose that needs attention? Maybe making the top of the bridge thinner, and the bottom flare out more?

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably end up taking small liberties with the likeness, but as long as people are able to look at it and identify the actor, I'll be happy with it. Brando had a long career and went in/out of popularity, so I'm only trying to nail the 1960s look (his late 30s and 40s).
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brando2ez4.jpg

Smallish update. The eyes still need a bit of work since he doesn't have an upper eyelid now. Also found a youtube vid that I used for some refs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UD4kFr1pc
    Its an interview thats i thought was interesting to boot, if only as a throwback to a different era.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    the newest changes have done a lot to improve the likeness, good work. i don't really have any crits since this kind of work is outside my expertise, but keep going smile.gif
  • Blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blue polycounter lvl 18
    He looks much more recognizable now. I'd say if you made his eyes more hooded it would help- I'm not too familiar with his face, but the sultry bedroom eyes are obviously part of his look. Keep it up!

P.S.- it seems like the curves in his face are more gradual than in your model. Maybe roll the eye sockets into the cheekbones more gradually, and pout out his lower lip over a larger distance?
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First update of 08! I'm also in the Game Artisans contest, which ends soon, so I may abandon this for now. I think I'm pretty much done with the major forms - I just need to do the hair and some small tweaks and details.

gauss - Thanks dude, I'm just learning as I go.

Blue - I decided to keep his eyes open a bit because I think the eyelids would cause trouble when baking the normal. I want to mess with some different expressions, so I think I'll end up moving some verts to get the hooded eyes. The entire eyesocket is definitely something I'll work on until the last second.

He has proper eyelids now.

brando3aew0.gif

Here's the lowres head with the body, which is mudbox bound.

bust1aqd4.jpg
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm running into a lot of limitations because of my old pc. Mudbox crashes on me half the time I use the face or object tool, and on top of that I have to bake the normal in pieces because of low memory. Cool.

normaltest3kg0.jpg

I have to redo the suit sculpt because the one I have is corrupted or something.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been slacking off on this one... More PC troubles lately. I'm texturing the suit now and I'm still frankensteining the head piece by piece. I had to fix the likeness again because it was a bit warped after baking it.

normaltest5abz3.jpg

Maybe the collar is a bit too wide.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, great likeness.

Have you tried xnormal to bake your normal maps? it worked great for me on my old PC.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin - thanks!! smile.gif

Psyk0 - Thanks so much for the suggestion. I just tried out xNormal and it worked beautifully and saved me a ton of time. I saw people discussing it in Technical Talk, but I didn't think to give it a shot. Now I feel kinda silly since it was so simple.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finishing the textures. Painting the hair is a tad tricky, and it looks kinda like pudding right now.

normaltest6flp2.jpg
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should do a bald camo painted version.

aponow14.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    hahah, yeah, that'd go well with the shirt and tie wink.gif
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Pretty good job so far. I don't know if its just the fact that he doesn't have the same expression, but your model doesn't quite looks like brando. I think his forehead should be a bit longer, his lower lip should be fatter and the eyes are the wrong color. Also some more contrast in the eyebrows and hair. Good work overall though!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    also his chin tapers more, his hair is slightly curly/wavy. he has very 'meaty' eyebrow/lid area where yours are not.
    the cheekbones should be way more exaggurated.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits, I've been trying to follow them. I wasn't liking the hair so I decided to try a different approach. I want to finish in the next couple days.

AsylumSeaker - I like the idea enough to do it! It would be an easy job, too.

aotest1bxc8.jpg

Right now I feel like his face is kinda squat looking, but it lines up pretty closely with my refs. In the past I've had tendencies to make faces long, so that may be part of it. Gettin' there.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aotest3cdw8.jpg

Ok, now I just need to get the hair right. I'll probably need a few more planes before it will look more natural.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aotest5bcik1.jpg

The hair is lacking a decent spec because I need to fix it. I hope I finish it tonight, otherwise I've wasted my Spring Break.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    My only suggestion would be making his cheeks a bit more flat from the cheeckbones to the jaw to make him look thinner make his face more angular. It's a very nice piece though.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Pores on his face would complete him. He looks plastic without them
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Looking really good there. I'd check the camera's FOV in that last screenshot, and try a few other values (currently he looks a little heavy). I think you've just about nailed the modeling part - but the camera you render with is just as important.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN - Yeah, at first I made his cheekbones too flat, and now they're a bit too puffy, like he was stung by bees or something. I'll push around some verts.

Zephir62 - I'll probably do that last.

Gmanx - It was a viewport render, but I will play with FOV renders, too.

I did a camo version and made his face a bit fatter. I'm not that crazy about how the water turned out.

aotest6bcdegb6.jpg
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, oh yes. Underlight it for effect. Nice work here, it really improved since the start.

Any chance of seeing the head texture map?
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Super. I'll post the textures soon.

I'm sticking to vanilla renders/screengrabs now because I suck at rendering. I basically wasted all day doing terrible renders, hah.

aotest6cra2.jpg
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    This is great!
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the camo, good work laugh.gif
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    t4paN - Yeah, at first I made his cheekbones too flat, and now they're a bit too puffy, like he was stung by bees or something. I'll push around some verts.

Zephir62 - I'll probably do that last.

Gmanx - It was a viewport render, but I will play with FOV renders, too.

I did a camo version and made his face a bit fatter. I'm not that crazy about how the water turned out,

aotest6bcdegb6.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah shit, this one's spot on! Nice. I wanna see the final version of the dude.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, the new forum look will take some getting used to.

Thanks to everyone for their crits and comments! I'm ready to call it finished. As a likeness, it has quite a few problems and I didn't capture the look I was after, but as character art I'm generally satisfied with it. I probably could have done a couple more layers of skin imperfections but... that'll have to be for next time around.

brandoposetg1.jpg
    brandokurtzye8.jpg
    brandolineupha8.th.jpgbrandomudboxzg8.th.jpg
    brandostepsbm6.th.jpgbrandotexqe6.th.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Great stuff man, I'd be very interested in reading a short tutorial on your workflow for this piece actually.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Gj Slainean!

These likenesses are a pain eh. At some point it just starts looking like a stranger. Like looking at a word too long and it starts to look like you spelled your own name wrong.

I know you're done but I have a minor note...I find my eyes going to the arrow on his neck time after time :) It points down and it's under his chin.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN - Daz has a good tutorial that covers some info about likenesses here: http://www.daz-art.com/hi_poly_tut.htm

He recommends taking stills from movies, which I should have done in hind sight instead of using crap youtube screens. Anyway, I want to write a tutorial about something, so I'll definitely consider it.

TWilson - Thanks, dude. Your Brad Pitt model was one of my benchmarks, especially since you did a great job on the hair.

You hit the nail on the head about likenesses, though. I've looked at the model so many times, it'll take a month or so before I can look back at it and decide whether I like it.

brandolineupoz1.jpg

I fixed the adam's apple, and I also couldn't resist doing one last render.

brandodarkcd2.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Slainean wrote: »
    t4paN - Daz has a good tutorial that covers some info about likenesses here: http://www.daz-art.com/hi_poly_tut.htm

Thanks, it looks pretty interesting.

Slainean wrote: »
    I fixed the adam's apple, and I also couldn't resist doing one last render.

brandodarkcd2.jpg

2imbdht.jpg

Just a 'stache away!