Home Technical Talk

Optimal Tablet Size

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Mathorne polycounter lvl 17
Without considering the price, what tablet size would you recommend? I'm thinking of either the 9*12 inches or the 12*19. I've heard Feng Zhu and Ryan Church and other like them say that the bigger the better, but I can't help but wonder if the large size will become a bother rather than a help. I'll be using it for both texturing, concept art and the occasional illustration.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Find a retailer and try them out. Optimal size is personal. Do you have the desk space for a large tablet? Do you draw from the arm or from the fingers?

I have a 9x12 at home, and a 6x11 to carry around with me. The 6x11 is a nice compromise between comfy drawing and portability, but I prefer working on the 9x12. One of my buddies uses a 12x19 but finds it too large, and he's 6'5". It's not even proportional to his monitor...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    imo, getting one closest to your screen size is good. the strokes align nicely to your usual drawing habits if you've got a near 1:1 ratio (i've got an a4 oversize I think at home which is a bit smaller than my screen, but works out well)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I use the 6x8 at home, which is more than enough. Though I prefer the larger 9x12s I used at work.
    As snowfly said, it really depends on your strokes. Drawing from the arm requires a larger tablet to get the same effect, while those who draw from the wrist can deal with a smaller tablet. It just depends on what you're comfortable with.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I have a 9x12 at home, and a 6x8 at work. honestly I like the 6x8 better. Its a lot less work for my arm, and having carpal tunnel, the larger size tablet is a bit too much.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    It depends on your drawing style. Some like to draw with their entire arm while others restrict themselves more to wrist movements. I used to have an old 12x12 but later realized that I really wasn't using the entire surface are.

I've been on a 6x8 since.

Desk space can also be an issue the larger tablet you get.

But! At the end of the day whatever you get doesn't really matter as you'll eventually get used to it.
  • silversteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup. depends on your style. i have a 9x12 at home and only use a small portion of it. at work i use a 6x8 and it's great.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    I use a 6x8 at work and at home - seems to be the sweet spot for me - not too small, not too big. Most of my workmates use 6x8s and even those who have larger ones feel like they'd rather have a 6x8.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    6x8 is great for working with it on your lap. Yeah, I kinda use an armchair instead of a normal desk chair... I'm such a lazy bastard.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I must be the only person who actually uses a 4x5 by the sound of it :P

For me the convenience of being able to throw my wacom into a smaller backpack compartment when traveling about makes allot of sense considering it's getting moved from one place to another almost daily. But, as stated above, to each their own.
  • Mathorne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathorne polycounter lvl 17
    Alright, thanks guys. I think I'll be going for the 9*12 inches - I still have my 4*5 for traveling purposes.

Thanks for your time, everyone.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    6x8 is the best size for me, too. it's juuust right.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    6x8 or 9x12 the more optimal...the bigger it is the blunder it is to bring along.