Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Witch Hunter [wh40k] WIP

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
This is my first post of WIP, basically I'm looking to get into the game industry off the back of an Msc in Computer Animation - sadly it never gave me enough things to show for a portfolio - got rejected 3 times from games companies:( Must say my dream job is to be a character modeller of some description. This model is based on a concept drawing from the Witch-hunters Codex of Warhammer 40k - not my concept trying to find out who did it and credit him/her. C & C welcome before I zbrush it. It has no other arms or legs at the minute but I hope you get the idea:)

frontrj6.th.jpg

backzb5.th.jpg

ref1ns2.th.png

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    It's a decent start, but I guess you first need to learn how to present your stuff in a way that actually makes it possible to provide you with constructive criticism (e.g. wireframes overlays for example is a must).

P.S.: A Msc in Computer Animation? Was was that mostly aimed at? Programming or modelling?

P.P.S.: Everyone and their mother wants to be a character artist... you are much more likely to get a job as an environment artist these days.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, well the Msc was kind of a mixture, did some 2D and 3D animation programming as well as modelling, 2D, 3D and stop motion animation. For some reason there was a business unit, but I guess that was to develop skills in case people decided to go freelance. I will post better for my next WIP, and concerning being an environment artist, is that the general route now in getting into the games industry as a modeller?

Thanks.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Well, to be horribly honestly your work isn't par with most entry level character art positions. Then again, you say you've yet to take it into zbrush and god only knows what skills you have there. But you are at a great place to start getting more assistance. Though I find it disturbing that your school didn't put you in the place you need to be to start working. This is a 75% talent industry, the rest is social or tools skill. That degree probably only scratched the bare 25%.

Without wire frames we cant really crit any polyflow, but the proportions are close, aside from facial details which we cant see. Grey armor on grey background is a no no, cant really see much. The modeling you've done doesn't really match the concept other than a very basic level. Why don't you try modeling a detailed part like the knee guard in detail including the bone face etc. It looks like you are just skimming low details, yet the polycount looks like you are targeting it for cinematic or normal map creation.

The boot, up the the bottom of the knee looks like a good shape start, so do the shoulders, but lack any detail at all for what looks like such a high count, but I cant be sure since you didn't post wires or a count.

I can't wait to see what it looks like after some zbrush luvin though. Great concept, and I normally don't dig 40k on a personal level.
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    not my concept trying to find out who did it and credit him/her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul Dainton
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been continuing work on this as well as trying to get some environment work done, as I don't think character artist will be a viable first job considering the competition for places. It still needs a lot of work dirtying up, and my UVWs are spread over too many textures. The character may also look a little too fresh facedm, then again could be a new recruit.

Thanks for the info on the artist.
    wh_front.jpg
    wh_back.jpg
    wh_f_wire.jpg
    wh_b_wire.jpg
  • WhiteRavenAnim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WhiteRavenAnim polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, warhammer...the good ol' days. Never played the games; I took enough pleasure in just collecting the odd model and painting it. grin.gif

Anyway, on to your model (your most recent post).

At first glance, the geometry looks pretty clean; polys look like they have a pleasant, even distribution. Only two things come into my mind:

First, and possibly of least concern, is that I see that you did not twist the forearms. Sometimes that is done in a base model in the T-pose, as that will allow for a "straight twist" (I hope that made sense...) when animated. I say that that may be due little concern as you have those nice, large arm-guards covering the majority of the visible fore-arm; what isn't covered may be so scarcely seen, that a twist won't be necessarry. Just something to keep in mind, and seek further feedback upon; I could easily be wrong to have concern over this.

Second, add a few more divisions (3-to-5), running horizontally, in the loincloth; lordey, that thing will not look good when it bends due to a cloth sim, so give it a bit more geometry to work with.

The best judgement you can possibly have when creating anything convincing is to look at the way that anything/everything reacts in nature. Contemplate (or walk around outside and find) the way a slightly-loose-fitting skirt would flap against someone's upper legs and knees, for example, and imagine where you would place horizontal divisions. You may find that the intelligent place to place divisions are often near to where the cloth will be coliding with against the model.

Given that, I would personally place divisions:

1) In front of the top edge of the upper-leg-plate
    2) In front of the edge just below the top edge of the upper-leg-plate
    3) In front of the top edge of the kneepad
    4) In front of the midsection of the kneepad

And with those in place, perhape nudge the #2 division down a smidgeon, so that it is still slightly above the midpoint between the #3 and the #1 divisions...but this might not be necessarry.

Keep on keeping-on. grin.gif
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks WhiteRaven, completely missed that one. Have been progressing slooooowlyyyyyyy. I'm not sure how people do environments so i'm at a loss, but i've been thinking about using modules for environments - like repeating architecture, but that brings me into another problem that is repeating textures and shitty seams...although i'm using less textures as a results - is this good practice?
    environment_work.jpg

environment_work_wire.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18

For the environment, it appears you're on the right track. As for texture seams/repeating, that's up to you to keep your textures clean and seamless when repeating. This can be a pain in the ass until you get used to doing them. Also, try making 2-3 custom window sections. This will help reduce the repeated look. When using modular chunks, you can rely more on modeled detail to push them further since it's modular. You can break large, flat surfaces up more with pillars, pipes, props, etc. Find a good reference and see what you can do. All the Warhammer tabletop set pieces are brilliant for ideas.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i find that a bit of modular building helps any environtment. Most elements get built in chunks and peiced together, then you can start giving each it's uniqueness, the more veriaty of peices the less needed to give it uniqueness later
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the very helpful insight, I am looking to get into the industry and to know that I'm on the right track is a catalyst for me to try and improve.

I have been working more on some textures and will aim to pad out the scene more. The background is a dome and I was thinking to add 2d work to give the illusion of depth.

scene_work.jpg