Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

o^_^o

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
leilei polycounter lvl 14
continued from here
yep, i'm making you-know-who. Normal mapped this time. If i pull this off right i'll be able to move on to someone else smile.gif

i'm on the face making stage right now. I want to get the face looking right BEFORE i start my body making adventure
the edgeloops are freaky and i
damnloops2.png
faces.png
the low poly mesh (game mesh) was quickly half-assed before the high poly, will redo it soon. It was quickly mocked up for basic volume shape translating from picture

Downloading xnormal at the moment.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    highres needs way more work, its pretty horrible right now cheap. You really need to pay attention to basic anatomy, pretty much everything here is wrong, even by anime standards.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    And listen to him.. If EQ knows anything, it's the anatomy of a young girl. XD
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'way more work' isn't really something to learn from. Of course I know it needs work, however I want to learn why smile.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Cheeks, lips, and chin. Right now yours is flat and maskish, which is a natural way to try to interpret something anime, but judging by the pictures in your thread flies right in the face of Leilei's appearance. Her face is very much made up of smooth, flowing, roundish forms. Pictures like http://openarena.ws/crap/fig1.png are invaluble, try and get an idea in your head of the form in 3d.

The mouth is flat and looks cut out -- lips, especially more feminine ones, curve in very organicly. this is male, but take a look:

9172.jpg

Depth, and smooth, sculpted forms are going to look more feminine than a girlish but flat shape.

You have a similar problem with the eyes. The eyelid, even for anime, looks false and flat. The whole thing needs more depth, and more attention paid to the 3d forum -- not just flat surface shapes. Also, the tip of the nose comes out of nowhere. Asian women, especially anime ones, don't have a very apparent nose bridge, but it's still there. Necessary to have it, however faint/smoothed, for the mesh to flow believably.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    1. Look up more references from media/web.
    2. At least look at some other people's anatomy posts.
    3. Read a book. (Anatomy)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I know people have seen this a million times, but I`m POSTIN it agAIN! BWA HAHAHAHA! laugh.gif
    poly_regions.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its so basic that its almost not worth saying, but eyes, nose, lips, chin, all of the features of the face need major work, and you need to pay attention to real anotomy instead of trying to match this up to some tiny gifs.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never actually liked those stahlberg loops, Konstruct. Were good to learn from, I guess, but I think it gives way too little room to define the jaw/cheeks, have to change it up a lot in order to get any character with more dramatic cheekbones/jaw structure to look good. Plus, the underside and corners of the mouth vertex shade pretty poorly, I always feel, when you do it that way. That and the nose is incredibly inefficient polywise, tons of wasted stuff over the bridge of it.

... /offtopic
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I would try to steer away from what you think an anime face mesh looks like for this model. The reference doesn't look particulary anime'ish (well at least compared to that most common quite horrible anime style) anyways.

If I look at those reference pictures (which are not really great to be honest) the most important feature I think is the "roundness" (yay I made up a word), which isn't represented in your mesh at all so far.
    I good way to get a feel for that would be probably to model the entire head shape roughthly first instead of just making that mask (which is a bad habit anyways as it makes it hard to spot anatomical errors that only really appear when the entire head is build).

Anyways if you are looking for more reference I would say the Miyazaki anime style is closer to the reference than that "regular" anime style, and thus could make for good additional reference.
    Otherwise it is also always a good practise to actually try to draw an edgeloop approximation right onto the reference picture to get an feel for the forms (best is actually to print it out really big and draw on it by hand).

Hope that helps.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.khalys.net/BOOK_2007/Naruto.htm

look at the Naruto model there for the style of yours. you seem to have just outlined the profile and front view and filled in from there with no accounting for the underlying facial structure. it's very amateur. ive seen you do better and here it looks like you've forgotten everything you've done in the past.

you picked a HIGHLY stylized character with EXTREME animations that you want to pull off. you will probably need to break her down to just a 'normal' person, forget all the extreme animations when building her. base it in reality first before stylizing.

'anime' is not a shortcut

and dont worry about normal maps until you get to that point
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    you picked a HIGHLY stylized character with EXTREME animations that you want to pull off.

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing wrong with having ambition smile.gif

OK THANKS GUYS i scrapped my face and totally made a totally new, not-suck-as-much one. I quickly mocked her dress and hair on to make her look more like her than some baldie
    newerface2.png
    ut3lei2.png
    fun render, LOVE subsurface scatter.
    lei3d.png
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    wireframe pics or it didn't happen!

But it looks a lot better!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you kinda missed the point of our crits, but this head does look a whole lot better so I guess that works. laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    the eyes are really really weird, she has no eye whites on the inside of her iris, the eye shape is also pretty bad.
    also her head in general seems rather sharp and flat on the front, it should have more of a curve going round from the front past the cheeks to the sides of her head.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats quite a bit better, but the shape of the eyes have that ugly square sailor moon look. I'de go for a more natural realistic eyeshape, even your references have that more than your mesh here.
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
    great work

Oh you are using blender ?

i use it too , please , can you share the blend with me through
    - Email is delete from the post by poster -

for educational use

thanks
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    LOL, I like the straight no haha. By the way the tits look smashin. Personally, I like the eyes but I think the nose is kinda strange.

You could do the side of the nostrils a bit more defined, so that the bottom part of the nose, where the nosetrills stood out a bit more.

Know what I mean? Like in manga, you sometimes see no definition of the nose other than a shaded nosetrill area.

My 2 pennies, but I'm just a gnub, so..

/edit the Naruto models are beyond awesome.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    no

[/ QUOTE ]
    HAHAHA!

But seriously now, this is probably the first high poly mesh I've ever seen from you, Cheapy. The second face attempt is a huge improvement, but you still have a bit to go. I know its still early days and there will be tweaking here and there and refining some of the shapes.
    I think at the moment, the eyes and the mouth are the only 2 things that I'm not a big fan of. But that may be the style you're heading so its not really my call.
    I think seeing a front and side version with wires may help with crits as well.
    Boobs look great though!

-caseyjones
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i managed to make my own manga leilei
    previewv10bmk1.png
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=52976

with the same software , Blender , and if anyone wants the Blend , i will send it to him after the work is complete .
    regards / 3DGURU
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wished to see comments on this
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice thread hijack jerk. That's not even her

anyway I haven't had time to work on the hi-poly version lately but I did a version for

THAT

GAME
    YOU LOVE
    (is now ruined!)
    quakelei.gif

THATS RIGHT QUAKE IS RUINED
    qlei2.gifqlei3.gifqlei5.gif
    qlei6.gif

llkick.jpg
    I even did some of her melee attacks, no axing here.
    llshoot.jpg

oh the specs
    1038 triangles (mostly from MDL vertex splitting, otherwise she's normally 800 triangles)
    858 vertices
    256x128 skin (plus another 256x128 to accompany the quake gun and muzzleflash and Linlin)
    now before you complain BAWWW LEILEI IS IN QUAKE ITS RUINED, be warned that I come from the age when Chuckie Finster railing other living bongs in Quake 2 strogg detention centers were no issue.

bugs!
    - her feet through the floor (fixable)
    - cleavage popping out of clothes clipping through (integer vertex precision only by the MDL format, unavoidable)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *checks thread date*
    *hum, interesting.. its from 2008, i thought it was from 1998.*

no but seriously, i like it that you do your own thang.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    lol @ 3dGuru for beeing a sad assface.

*wont comment at cheap's art because he makes the same models over and over and over and over and over and they all look the same XD*
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Practice makes perfect and repetition is the key, and I do make other things. I just hardly post them here anymore (since they're often of an open source nature, meaning i have to stay on my toes and have it together in a place where other non-professional contributors have their stuff at, and last time I did that it only induced laughs and no crits/help/interest of any sort so no)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Repetition is not the key.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    sure ain't, looking like this is

fatcat.jpg
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei , no offense , but i wanted to show all members that the manga isn't a miracle , and that's with hard work , everything is possible !!

good luck , regards .
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ido not know about anyone else, but i love that he had put his model in Quake...I have yet to put anything in game, so maybe that why I like it so...or maybe because it is so nostalgic? Either way..
  • Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    sure ain't, looking like this is

fatcat.jpg

Or like this:
    fat_guy.jpg
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leinew3.png
    Finally got back to the mesh, tried to make clothing but the baggy pants don't look baggy enough and the red dress part looks odd (especially aroudn the chest area where I had to adjust due to clipping nipplage which accidentally gives the illusion of her breasts bigger than they actually are) I didn't do her shoes but started on those *last year* Also is the head too small? I tried to follow proportions from the official artwork

maybe I should just sculpt this instead. This subsurf stuff didn't turn out very good :(

(there is a body underneath though, but lacks arms. Earlier long neck shot with a test 'shrinkwrap' clothing from playing with new 2.48)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I think the arms should be smaler more like a action figure (compact body). Some subdevision areas look good,- while others like the shoes, the cloth attempts and ribbon have some bad qualities.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EW THAT SUCKED, let me try again
    leipoly2.jpg

Made her for Q3 in mind, hence the torso/head split here.
    I should also mention that she also has real arms in there as well but I didn't really put that in the picture :/
  • EarthQuake
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Why the ngon on the back of the leg?
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    Repetition is not the key.

LOL i love it.

yeah, i second that. and on a meta level -- i think out of all the strategies in all of the disciplines, this one has to be one of the best:

if you want to do something, find someone who's getting the results that you want and do what they do.

anyway, back on topic -- this model ain't bad man. you're definitely getting better.

i also deeply admire your ability to stick with what you want.. that's amazing. i don't have willpower like that....... but i still think you could learn more if you copied another person's style and made anime characters or gargoyles... just imagine if bobo or bill made a anime character.. and then do that.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark wrote: »
    Why the ngon on the back of the leg?

That ain't no ngon, that's Blender's 'wire mode' being stupid cutting out lines undesirably. :(
    but i still think you could learn more if you copied another person's style

That's exactly what i'm doing this time around, there's some demonprincess influence somewhere in there :)
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Well, I think it turned out nice. Even if it's a little weird to model Lei Lei year after year, it is sort of an interesting concept - to model the same character repeatedly over time, as measure of your progress. Kind of like re-reading a favourite book throughout your life and noticing new things with each passing year, since you have more personal experience to apply to the narrative. In this case, you are simply applying modeling experience to a control concept, as it were.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    leilei wrote: »
    That ain't no ngon, that's Blender's 'wire mode' being stupid cutting out lines undesirably. :(
    There is a button in the MESH TOOLS section called All Edges that will fix that.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok
    i'm pretty bad at this arms rigging thing.
    skin still in progress
    any idea on whats up with her face? the britney spears slut eyeliner is unintentional.
    leiq315.jpg
    leiq317.jpg
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two years later...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OZa1TIEjZQ[/ame]

I think there's only a couple of joint-related issues to fix (elbows being too simple and the feet lacking heels) so she's almost really done. Unfortunately I have to use stock skeletons and animations since the pipeline I use is still limited.

A broken but also nearly ready Felicia is also seen in the video
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    LeiLei sticks to his guns.
    I support you, old friend.
    ahah.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You're nothing if not tenacious, Leilei. Looks like it came up alright in the end.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i kinda miss gargoyles ;)