Home General Discussion

Pandora Radio...

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
http://www.pandora.com/

Someone clued me into this last week and it's kinda cool. SO far I'm impressed with the music it can pull up, but no frigtmare or bloodfreak, so it's not perfect (you may not find bands on smaller labels).

Has something to do with something called a music genome project, whatever the fuck that is. Anyway might make a nice radio alternative for some.

Replies

• aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    the crap thing is it only works in the US frown.gif

last.fm for everyone else! You can't save stations but you can make yourself a playlist
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Strange, Pandora works for me. Me being in England.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    old. posted 3 times previously over the last 2 years. IT's good for a listen but it will start to seed your stations with "gateway" tracks which try to open your station up to more genres of music. How did all this hip hop get in my metal station? Oh I said I like a cross over metal song and now it thinks I want to listen to hippity hop all the time... it also tends to play songs I give the thumbs up to, less. So I don't vote the music anymore since it tends to just screw up the stations.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Works fine for me...
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    most of the 'similar' music it gave me when i used it was pretty crap
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I put in Pig Destroyer, Electric Wizard, and Ramasses, and most of what it gave me was good (I'd say about 70%).

Maybe it depends on the genre
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I like it a lot. The only problem with it is that if you don't start sticking more seeds into the station it can start to repeat itself pretty bad. I've got a bunch of small stations for specific genres and then and Uberstation that crosses multiple genres that tosses up mostly good music.

If you don't like a song you can thumb it down and it'll skip it and the whole "setlist" (it feeds songs to you 4 at a time in related "setlists") and get a new one.

I've been listening to it for months, still find new music, and love the hell out of it. I don't listen to the regular radio much, and the other internet radio stations I used to listen to have either folded or just play the same shit over and over again, most of which I had already rolled into my collection at home.