Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Rat monster

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
Doing this for a school project were we are supposed to make a fully functional level, an animated main char and an enemy and export it to a test app. REALLY running low on time here but whatever. This WIP is supposed to be the enemy char (its a sewer level). We recently found out the testapp will support normalmaps and since i have a hard time dropping ZB3 (FUN!!!) instead of working i felt i might aswell give it a go.

BPeNmTDQJ.jpg

Was struggling with making the feet and hands in ZB but i just couldnt make it look decent so ill do them individually in maya i think, unless someone has a better idea! Kind of wish i had done a basemesh instead of just using a sphere but oh well! this was more fun.

Comments and critique is always welcome but im so low on time i cant promise ill have time to adress any bigger issues with it.

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    No offense but it kinda looks like a baby mutant gerbil...it's also lacking the nose and giant tail they usually have.

Would've been cool to base it off the rat monster in Oblivion.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    unless someone has a better idea!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Kind of wish i had done a basemesh instead of just using a sphere

[/ QUOTE ]

stop fooling around and do things right, slacker!
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah forgot to mention the missing tail ;p The body isnt at all finished since i wanted to wait with finishing the shape until the legs were in place.

It doesnt quite look like a rat i know, i started out with trying to make it look just like a big rat but i also wanted him to be angry looking and kind of stylized to fit with the rest of the level but it was harder then i tought. A real rat mouth doesnt look anything like that but like i said i couldnt manage to get it to look angry with a real rat mouth so i made it more doglike.

No offense taken! i know im only a novice wink.gif
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

stop fooling around and do things right, slacker!

[/ QUOTE ]

In my head it was a great idea to sculpt everything from scratch! :<

I am kinda rushing this since i need everything to be finished by friday(not tomorrow), so i only got like a day or two more to get this one done preferably with an idle animation.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We want sneering expressions with teeth sticking out, that's the traditional "angry" look of a rat...you could also emphasize that by roughing out the hair of the rat.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jnspBUZUn.jpg

just a small update with a tail and something that almost looks like hands and feet. The shitty computers at school dont want to let me work on the feet so dont know what to do really.

Sorry for not taking in your critique, just having a hard time pulling it off well ;( Time is running out so really have maximum one more hour to spend on the highpoly then i guess sleep and continue tomorrow. Atleast i learned a lesson to plan and do things properly from the get go next time wink.gif

Need to add some fur but the alpha brushes that comes with ZB isnt working very well so now im gonna create my own.

This will be the first time im normalmapping anything so looking forward to seeing if i can get it to work properly wink.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ic...well one thing that's still jumping out is that keep in mind the tail gets wider as it gets close the the body..it kind of looks like a cord sticking form its (ahem...behind)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I dont know why this hasnt been mentioned, but the ears are REALLY REALLY misplaced. Move them up and forward. THat is the main thing that freaks me out about your rat.

also, check out this pic

http://www.mikecorriero.com/index/Albums/Album4/Large/3blindmice.jpg
  • TheFrog4u
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFrog4u polycounter lvl 10
    i did a lowpoly some time ago.. not the best ref but maybe a little help to get better shapes:
    rat_remix01.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw that too...but apparently he placed it like that as he wanted the face to resemble a dog's which is incorrectly placed too.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    He's missing his incisors. If you want him to look more ratty give him some big front teeth.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dont know why this hasnt been mentioned, but the ears are REALLY REALLY misplaced. Move them up and forward. THat is the main thing that freaks me out about your rat.

also, check out this pic

http://www.mikecorriero.com/index/Albums/Album4/Large/3blindmice.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops thanks for spotting that, think that happened accidentally from reshaping the head after i had done the ears, didnt notice until you said it and now its painfully obvious, fixed now.

I know about the teeth but i guess due to my own inability to use zbrush i just couldnt pull them off well and make him look mean.

comrat.jpg

is how they really look but like i said i decided to try with a more canine look on mouth area.

Man i wish i hadnt posted this here because now i see a million things i dislike about it. Would be good i guess if i had time to correct the errors but i dont.

Maybe ill revisit the rat when i got more time and experience.