Home General Discussion

Computer dead!!

Vitor
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vitor polycounter lvl 18
Well, coming from a calm weekend on parents home up on the north of portugal, happy to my university flat, and push the computer button to turn it on.. guess what, it doesn't turn on... i do it again.... nope, nothing, i scream, i start kicking everything around, including 2 brothers and a chair (poor chair)!

Thing is: it starts, it shows a grey screen with a list of the computer hardware or something like that, it then gets all black, take a few seconds and got that menu to choose on what mode should the windows start (security mode, normal mode, last working options and so on); tryed those all and nothing, it just shows a Windows XP loading screen and gets all black, and everything restart again...

I got a contract of freelance working from home, deadlines, NDA stuff and so on that machine... Any good sugestion to help me solve this?

System Specs (sorry if isn't much but it is all i know):
- Double CPU Duo Core AMD 2.0Ghz
- 2 Gb Ram
- ATI Asus 1900Xtx
- Windows XP
- MBoard - Tyan S2895 Thunder K8WE

Replies

• Rob Galanakis
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    try unhooking everything that isn't necessary to starting the computer. Use onboard video and all that jazz. Take out extra hard drives. If you have replacement parts, try them out.

Just try and narrow down whats broke.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    could be that the video card drivers may have got corrupted. Try starting in safe mode and removing said drivers.
    just a gues really but might be worth a try.I had a similar issue in the past and resoved it this way but it was probably win98.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    if you've got a spare hard drive about, try hooking it up and installing windows on that. the booty bit for windows could be screwed, but you might be able to grab anything important off it with a bit of luck.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    dude if you're working on it, and it has work stuff on it, take it into a repair shop, seriously. Your company would probably be more than willing to pay even.

turn on your brain wink.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Everything was fine the last time you used it? Was it moved (did you take it from University to your parents)? Odd for a machine to die after working fine last time. Maybe your power supply got spiked.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    I had this happen to me, pretty much exact same circumstances. I fixed it by putting my HDD in another computer and letting windows boot. It asked if I wanted to run that checkdisk thingy on that HDD and I said yes. When that was done I shoved it back in my computer and Bobs your mothers brother, it was all working again. Might be worth a shot. Or just take it to the repair shop...
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Well thanks a lot for the replys, spent all day on the university today so didn't really got a change to fix this (or at least try it).

Well might try a few of these tips. Taking it to the repair shop was my first thought but with a few folders on the work space with tempting names to click on that could get me in trouble... i don' really trust the confidentialy of those repair shops :\

I'll try the disk exchange thing, though it will be a outstanding challenge to me hehe, just opening the box will be something new for me :\

And to answer a few:

notman-> nope didn't move a thing, it stayed here all weekeend, turned off the wall, so not a electric problem neither;
    hawken-> dunno whats their policy on that, this is my personal computer afterall...Biggest trouble isn't the work that is saved there, but the work i need to do :\All this errors started after i installed the Crysys demo, perhaps it will be crytek paying this instead
    Ruz-> It dosen't turns on at all tongue.gif

To the others big thanks for helping a fellow polycounter wink.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    You could just try and unhook the sata cable, turn it on when it asks for boot disk, turn it off again and hook the sata cable back on.
    Another thing to try is you turn it on and pop in a windows xp cd, then let it try to boot. It may sound weird but my computer is kinda fubar and only boots up with windows cd in the drive :S
    I have AMD X2 3800 and X1900XT and 2gigs of ram and mobo with nForce chipset and win xp soo the computer is kinda similar...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ahh sorry vitor, didnt read that bit:)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P.E.T.C.A. should be showing up at your door in 3, 2, 1...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    What's the a for?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatever you want it to be, looked odd without it.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uhmm
    if it doesnt turn up at all it must be something related to the motherboard.
    But yeah. dude..
    just take the drive off and connect it to a external case and get all of your work stuff.

then send the pc to repair but dont send the hard disk. it probably not something to do with the hd.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    bitmap actually failing to boot can be because of screwed bootsector or master boot record. You can repair them sometimes with the windows repair utility but then again it can totally fuck it up too...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Could use the repair console but in his case I rather have it taken for data extract since it sounds like he didn't backup everything.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    bitmap actually failing to boot can be because of screwed bootsector or master boot record. You can repair them sometimes with the windows repair utility but then again it can totally fuck it up too...

[/ QUOTE ]

well
    i just said what it said because i had a problem with my pc somethime ago. and the pc went down after 4secs and it was because of the motherboard-