Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spark's W.I.P Thread

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Spark polycounter lvl 18
Just wanted to share a Mobster bust that I started yesterday, and worked on a little bit over lunch (about 4 hrs in). I still plan on playing with this a bit, to try to get the profile and front working better, as the side is more realistic than I wanted. Any comments and crits are always welcomed, and will update soon.

Spark
mobbysw9.jpg
P.S: Going to start dumping my pieces into one thread, as they don't deserve individual posts.

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    You're like a machine >_<. Anyway, excellent sculpt, I like the feel, however his ears seem a bit on the large side, he doesn't really have any temples, and that area above the mouth, and below the nose looks like he suffered a bad burn. Don't really mind the other two as much as the fact it looks like he has no temples. He does look like a badass mobster though, the kind that lets their guns and fists do their talking for them.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Ears are fine - the ears and nose never stop growing on a human being and when you get old they get out of proportion with the rest of the face. He could use some temples though..
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    4 hours!!!!!! did you start off with a base mesh? or all from a cube.
  • penrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penrod polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work as always. I really like your gestural approach to modeling as it makes the surfaces of your models more interesting.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    love the style, but feel some of the wrinkles need more definition, like on the forehead. They are a bit velvety/soft.
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    dig this guy too. great style. love the eyes and the irregularity/assymetry. only thing that really bothers me is the upper lip. looks like a stylistic choice, but the inflated feel doesn't sit with me.
  • onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    haha, nice style man.

might get that jaw a little lower on the left, give him the feel of actually biting onto that stogy instead of hanging in the lips.

Is that a sweater? If so maybe opening the collar a tad more at the opening (tie area) to give it more of a slightly relaxed feel, and dangling the tie a tad more. Also getting that cut into the tie not to feel like its been tied.

Nice bags under the eyes, maybe adding some of that to the neck, carrying it through the guy a tad more, and having the skin fall onto the collar a tad too.

Anyway just some ideas. A fun one, wha, no horns? haha
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Looks great, we need more saddlebags on the neck area though...his neck seems more defined than his wrinkly old areas.

Amen on the lips.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback on this guy as he was a different direction than I normally go ( yes no horns:P thanks Onelung:))
    Illusions: Not sure about that, as I think I am to slow and need to speed up:) Good points about the temple and the upper lip, I will tweak those areas for sure.
    Lee3dee: Yeah I have been tweaking a basic mesh to jump start from, as it really helps.
    Penrod: Thanks man, and hope to see you at the Dallas Sketchgroup sometime ( that goes for you too Lee! smile.gif)
    Ruz: Yep, need to utilize the pinch tool some more
    Demoncage: When I go back on the upperlip area I will try to create a more natural feel to them, thanks.
    Onelung: It wasnt suppossed to be a sweater, but can see how you can gather it from the texture, so I will push that in that direction. Great crits, thanks.
    Pliang: Yeah his neck is of a younger fellow, so I will age it some.

Here is a bust I did of Venom over a few lunch hours ( we started that again, so hopefully I will get more to post ) Still plan on going back and softening the muscles, and tweak the mouth some more. Hope you like it.

Spark
    venomlayouttr3.jpg
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    That venom is awesome; one thing that would be cool, to me, is if you made his eyes have a slightly different texture like bugs eyes (like a fly or something)

like this eye
  • Ctrl+Awesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ctrl+Awesome polycounter lvl 18
    Looking pretty flesh man especially for lunch hour works. Bet it helps keep you in speedy shape amongst all the other stuff you do.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    Yes!!! this is fucking awesome!I love this!
    I think you should add some small bump details on the tounge. It looks a little clean for Venom...:)
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    I've been watching this thread since it's inception and the first bust has reminded me of someone from the start- it was only after watching Ghost that I realized he looks like an older version of Rick Avles smile.gif

990GHS_Rick_Aviles_002.jpg
    sorry for the big image-directly linking from the site as it's late and not got my own webspace at the moment

Cracking work, full of character dude laugh.gif
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work Mr. Briley smile.gif