Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portal Map (pre-sdk)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
This is my first level created with Hammer. What better game to learn than Portal? smile.gif

click on image for zip file:
pl_ummet.jpg

This took me a total of 8 hours over the past two nights. Mmmm...simplicity.

The SDK for Portal is not released yet, so this was done using workarounds. On practise maps, I wasn't able to get specific materials and models to work, so I didn't use them here. Maybe after the update.

Please play around with it, test it, critique, enjoy. Perhaps I'll get around to more, plus some TF2 maps, soon.

Replies

• Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Cool! I played through it, the top two turrets had me stumped for a little while.

I think the only thing I didn't like was that I was able to take advantage of the "no fall damage" too much. If you were to make another one, I think its a better puzzle if it doesn't require me to fall 50 feet onto a cement floor. IMO
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Plays pretty well, Elysium. Nice one.
  • Kytos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kytos polycounter lvl 18
    That was fun. Can't wait to see more. Get to work!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    The 'no fall damage' is part of the game's mechanics, but I probably should have made the fall have some consequence if not done properly. Perhaps surrounding the target with the toxin.

I had my gf (never plays FPS games) and some co-workers test it out, a couple of them found ways to bypass the method that is intended. So I'll maked adjustments if I extend this one after the SDK update.

Thanks guys for taking the time to try it. I enjoyed making it.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work man. Was a bit easy though. With one cube drop and then some portal work you could easily bypass the remaining three turrets and just drop right next to the exit. Think some more black panels are necessary to make the top more challenging.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Right on Ely.

It was very easy, but fun!

Definitely the proper mod for learning to use Hammer. For the next one(s) though try and have it so the items in the map all contribute to the puzzle. The companion cube and 2 turrets weren't there for any reason except... to be there, so it was a bit confusing.

Otherwise, nice!