Home General Discussion

Proffesional opinion required

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
shotgun polycounter lvl 19
Hi all,
I need 5 (or more) statements from any professional game artist out there, be it texture artist or whatever, saying that all i need in order to apply to a similar position is a website with my portfolio works, a resume, and perhaps a business card to drop off with people i come across. that's it as for as "the essentials" go. unfortunately, the "proffesional" know-alls in my school insist that's not the case. and that i must create postcards and shell portfolios and whatnots. so please, if any of you wouldn't mind helping me sticking it to them, drop me a line. i'll be quoting your name and position.

thanks

(of course if any of you feel differently about what's essential in this field do say so)

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All an artist needs is a portfolio and a resume to be considered for employment where I work, an animator would also need a demo reel as well.

Joe Wilson
    Lead Artist, 8Monkey Labs.

This what you were looking for?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    A website portfolio and a resume are that you need for getting a general game art job. For animators and effects artists, a demo reel demonstrating the animation in question would be necessary as well. For technical artists example code, scripts, tools, or rigs might be a good idea depending on their focus.

Ryan Greene
    Lead Artist, Valkyrie Entertainment
    Seattle, WA
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I've worked with multiple game companies in-house and am currently working from home as a freelance character artist. All I've ever needed to get a job and all we ever required while I was assisting with hiring was a strong demo reel/ portfolio and a resume outlining their previous experience.

Gavin Goulden
    Freelance Character Artist
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddness polycounter lvl 11
    I smell Full Sail.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i got both my game jobs from a recommendation from a friend, a website link and resume sent via email. in my interview i brought a porfolio book and a folder filled with images on a laptop.

Cory Robinson
    Game Artist

it may not be the case, but they are your teachers and they give the grade.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    All my company looks for when hiring artists is a solid portfolio (in website or demo reel form), a strong resum
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    "All an artist needs is a portfolio and a resume to be considered for employment where I work, an animator would also need a demo reel as well."

Quoted for Truth, this is all I needed to get hired, and all we look at when hiring.

As a side note, the animation Reel needs to be available online, the days of sending out DVDs (or in my day, VHS) are gone.

Edit: Oh, and Quicktime is the preferred demo reel format because we can scrub thorugh easily.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    A website is all you really need. Work + resume on it. That's how we roll.

Justin Dinges
    Environment Artist, Raven Software
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Portifolio website with gallery of pieces (and a reel especially if applying for animation), resume and business cards couldn't hurt, like KP said, a hard copy to bring in and go through with interviewers is also great.

Elliotte Bagg
    Character Artist
    Sandblast Games, THQ
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Your people are full of BS and lingo. That's how people without talent and skill cope, by using big words and acting like asses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or they get a job in marketing for whatever publisher you are working for. shocked.gif

Seriously, keep it simple. Flashy stuff will only lose you jobs. It's the quality of the content that is important, the presentation should be understated and have a bit of style at most. If it requires more than three clicks or five seconds before the employer is seeing the high resolution images that they are interested in, you'd better rethink your site design.

BTW, what the hell is a shell portfolio?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks people, keep'em coming and please state your name and position.

the thing is, postcards, shell folios, etc. are expected from all students coming out of the illustration department in my school. what's missing in this consideration is that not all students have the same goals.

when i argued this point vs. my teacher, who is actually a remarkable artist and bright individual (note to per128), he refused to believe me. when i proceeded to argue that i had no interest in business, in general, he debunked me saying it is a requirement of the class. pfff. to which i would have said "well who said i wanted to take this class anyways? money-oriented classes should not be mandatory in an ART school, and students should not be expected to or encouraged to peruse one financial goal or another. the financial success should naturally stem from the art, so let the art take care of that. a portfolio should reflect the individual's art, and not the financial goal (assumed relevant by the school). If there's a specific field geared towards, then the portfolio should be made in accordance to the demands of this particular field. Simple logic, but the school fails to comply.

now this is taking this discussion to a more personal story about my school's illustration department and how it operates, which is wrong, imo. so, hopefully, these "proffesional opinions" might help me make my case. if not, well, there's always thesis next semester...... crazy.gif
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    "all i need in order to apply to a similar position is a website with my portfolio works, a resume, and perhaps a business card to drop off with people i come across."

That is my exact opinion.

edit: whoops, didnt see you had enough.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    per: its not so conclusive. there are some ridiculously talented artists teaching, as well as some horribly bad ones. all in all its a system, poorly managed might i add, through which thousands of students go through. for these students, i wish to make it better. i already know i'm right, but i am, but of course, not a "professional" wink.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Btw, for your business cards, make sure you have one side of it blank for people to make notes on the back, if I got one that's average with nothign to write on...I'd just chuck it away.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Fuck all I have is my web site, printed portfolio, resume and polycount.

It worked for me. No demo reel. No fancy schmancy printed dvd transforming reel holders.

Jesse Moody Senior Environment Artist Midway Games Chicago
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    judging by what you said your teacher said, what with these things being a requirement of the class, this isn't gonna help your case at all.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we'll see about that smile.gif

you just keep them pro-opinion statements coming, and i'll do the talking.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    i add, through which thousands of students go through. for these students, i wish to make it better.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's awesome. You sir have inspired me.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I had no webspace or online portfolio of any sort when I was contacted - just what I had shown in this community and cgchat. I landed the job with .zip of my work and an interview.

Ian Wells,
    Artist
    Iron Lore Entertainment
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    actually, ian, it was the avatar.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I got my current job with my portfolio web site, resume and an interview.

Ted Lockwood - artist
    Valkyrie Entertainment
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    a site and a resume is whats pretty much required to have to get a job, usually a site with a portfolio is all it really takes, resume is kinda secondary, they'll look at it if your work is good. now its not a complete necessity but all the other junk WILL get you noticed easier etc, having something physical laying around is a much better reminder than an email with a link, its only going to work if your work is already stellar, but say you really want to work somewhere and if you put a little bit more effort into presenting yourself to that company and make them feel like you really want to work there and nowhere else that'll take you that much closer to getting hired. Keep in mind its really in your hands, lots of companies use recruiters and are actively looking for people all the time, but most of them go through tons of portfolios daily, its in your hands to make them want to hire you and no one else. But thats just fluff really, if you're good you'll have a job, i think bobo for the longest time just had a resume and his wip folder... with jpegs in there listed alphabetically... lol
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Argh, know-it-alls...
    [ QUOTE ]

At Threewave we hire based on talent and your own personal attitude. We review artist candidates daily and the best thing you can do for yourself is get the art in front of our eyes as quick and painless as possible.

An online gallery and/or demo reel has been the best way to do that.

I personally have been contacted numerous times throughout my career about art jobs and I've only ever had an online gallery which included my resume.

Adam Bromell
    Supervising Artist, Threewave

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope this helps!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I look for is an easy to navigate website that takes no more than 2 maybe 3 clicks to access art. Then, after my interests is gained, a simple resume link in the navigation menu. Then, after that, a simple contact page.

In the end, their practical game art skill will get them an interview, test, or job, not their video editing skills, or html/flash skill.

Jesse Sosa
    Lead Character Artist
    Terminal Reality Inc.

Hell, I dropped out of art school and didn't have a fancy portfolio or demo reel. I just had a white page with text links and a link to a .txt resume file. Nothing fancy at all.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    btw shotgun just for the record I think it's probably quite useful to be taught business practises at university, since you have nothing to lose at that point (with regards to business).
    And while you personally might not find it interesting or useful, there's probably a bunch of people in the same classes who will end up as freelance artists, and that is where the business knowledge will give them an edge over people who don't know what they're doing when it comes to sorting themselves out for working individually.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    You should keep another thing in mind, after all you want to have a general degree from them, even if you only plan to apply for game art jobs.
    But their jobs is to make sure the degree reflects a broader range of positions (just in case you change your direction wink.gif ), because otherwise you wouldn't be certified for the general degree.

Proving them that it isn't needed for game art jobs (right now) isn't going to change their stance the slightest.