Home General Discussion

Little Cintiq!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?lang=en&pid=96

I wants. tongue.gif~

cintiq12.jpg

The news sites say these things will retail for about $1699. Still a little hard to justify picking one up, but not as big a stretch as springing for the 21 incher. :-)

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, but ouch on the price. Guess it'll come down if you want something to draw on your lap, instead of a desk.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    RWolf, the price of progress hurts heh wink.gif

Cintiq + Flash would be a killer workflow
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Yus! another option, just as I was about to buy a 21UX. Thanks Snowfly smile.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    That actually looks really nice and not overly bulky. I'd like to see what the cables are like going back into the PC. Pity about the price though. I can get a new PC for that kind of cash.

-caseyjones
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Looks sweet as hell and more comfortable than the regular large ones...still quite pricey. It'd be great if some company stepped up and made a tablet to compete with Wacom. I wonder how low prices would be then!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    so, who's gonna be the first one to mod this with a laptop motherboard and give us a cintiq that doesnt need a pc to plug into?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The price is just ridiculous. Theres no way I could ever justify that kind of cash.

Not to mention that we've got about 10 cintiqs at school and I'm just as happy to work with a tablet.

Get me a tablet PC with good speed and pressure sensitivity, for that price and I'm in.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know what they are thinking about the retail price, as we've already seen that you can build a tablet like that for less than that price if you diy it. Then there is also the fact that tablet laptops retail for less than this...otherwise, it does look nice, but why does it cost so much?
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Probably because they can, aesirs school picked up 10 shocked.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    but why does it cost so much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does 3DS Max cost more than 10x the average OS? Because they have a lower production volume and are targeting a niche market.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    that ad-poster is so cool
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    justification-

-you probably earn enough every month to buy a full-sized cintiq every couple of months
    -it's a comfortable size for users who take their gear around with them
    -better screen than practically all laptops out right now. these things are likely aimed at laptop users
    -a couple of freelance jobs and you've earned guilt-free cash for it
    -you can use motor skills you've spent a lifetime developing and have the convenience of working digitally

I know a ripoff when I see one,and I also have no qualms about splurging on things I know will actually be useful. Sold on this baby for sure!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    If only WalMart introduced this stuff in its departments...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i'm quite sold on this baby at the moment but need to obviously try it out before grabbing one first.

do we know anything about the display technology they're using in those? stuck pixels, lifespan of a display, heat dissipation.
    i'd hate this to be as short-lived as some laptop-displays. in that case it would be way too expensive for anyone but power-users.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    now if only there could be a wireless version...

hacks would need to be made for such awesomeness
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    wow those are cool! damn i really need some cash now :X
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Great, i don't think this is that much overpriced, regarding what we are used to pay for programs and this kind of 3d-specific hardware.

Anyway i'd pay a bit more and get it's big brother than this, probably this good just for the ones who use to work on their laptops and carry all they stuff everywhere.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I want one! but I couldnt afford one even if I saved my spare money for a year. I work and go to university and Student life is expensive! even if this was half the price it would still be a little too expensive.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've been waiting for this, I used have a 12x12 Intuos and that was just way to big for my needs.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    my laptop can be switched into a tablet and uses a wacom powered pressure sensitivity smile.gif !
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Spacemonkey, I need to know the brand and price of your baby!
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Pior: In discussing the new cintiq on the cgtalk forums I was informed about this model:
    http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529666090.php

The interesting thing about the gateway c-140 is that you can configure it with an actual graphics card, as opposed to the integrated graphics chipsets that a lot of them come with - which aren't too shit hot for doing 3d work with (mudbox).

I still have yet to see a tablet pc in action doing actual sketching or painting, or even sculpting, let alone try one for myself. I would love to see an actual video capture of someone doing artwork with one, just to be able to guage how responsive the digitizing screen is. I worry about 512 levels of pressure sensitivity and the glass screen after using a graphire 2, in comparison to 1024 levels on an intuos 3, but most people don't seem to think it is a big deal.

Anyway, seriously tempted on the Gateway model. The one I configured for myself worked out to 1900 bux, which isn't too bad at all for a fully mobile pc/tablet. 14" screen too!

Spacemonkey: I'm curious too what model you have and how it works for you compared to a tablet or cintiq if you have any experience.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Gwot I've heard from multi sources the tablet PC's aren't too hot for 3d work. There is a lot of slowdown/delay. They just aren't up to par with the response time of a tablet or Cintiq.

The 12 inch Cintiq looks cool, but I'm especially interested in it being crammed into a laptop as well. I hate lugging around a laptop + tablet when I travel and would love to integrate these 2 correctly wink.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The video cards they offer on that model are still pretty shity tho, not something i would trust to be able to handle real 3d work.

[ QUOTE ]
    The mobile version of graphic chip is completed by four memory chips with a total volume of 128 mb., which has 64- bit system bus.

Thus, test platform (A8Jr) was : Intel core2 duo t5200, 2 Gb memory, chipsets 945PM. The next result are made with resolution 1024x768 :

* 3Dmark05: 1494
    * 3Dmark06: 822
    * HL2: 14 FPS
    * Doom3: 7,8 FPS

Well as u can clearly see this X2300 Gpu is nothing more than x1300 ( again another renamed card from AMD ???) . in any case the performance are about the same .we hope that this was just driver issue and x2300 will show better performance ...

[/ QUOTE ]
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    j_bradford: yeah I'm inclined to wait and see what happens with the new cintiq tech trickling down into the laptop market in the near future. I'm mostly using Zbrush anyway, and it would probably run pretty good on a tablet pc, being less dependent on a graphics card for 3d acceleration.

EQ: my current desktop system at home is an x800
    My work card is even shittier! =]
    I'm pretty sure that even one of these laptops would run circles around my desktops, which are at least 4 years old each. You're right though... I don't think I'd do much actual 3d on one... mostly texture and sketch/sculpt work. I'm still very much tied to a mouse for 3d work and wouldn't give that up - nor my nice 24" widescreen realestate. For sketching and sculpting... sure. But not the other stuff!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm willing to bet a x800 outperforms that x2300 by a decent margin, those low end cards are always totally shit, but yeah cpu/memory wise i'm sure it would be a good upgrade and probablly workable for a couple levels in mud/z =)