Home General Discussion

new zealand trip

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
oobersli polycounter lvl 17
So, I'm wondering if anyone lives there or has gone on vacation there could maybe shoot me a few ideas of where to go maybe? I'm thinking of hitting it up before the end of the year or early next year. Sorta wanted to get a game plan of what to do, so any recommendations would be great.

Replies

• Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Cool man cool.gif Hope you have a good time. Being a local I don't do much of the tourist type things. We used to visit Rotorua as a kid which was fun, it has lots of geothermal activity (but smells like fart smirk.gif). Lindale farm about an hour outside of Wellington is quite nice on a sunny day, you can feed the farm animals, eat freshly made ice cream and honey, and there is a chocolate factory just down the road from that. I'll let you know if I think of anything else smile.gif.

Here's the website for lindale farm, I wouldn't go way out of my way to see it but if your passing through you might have a nice time smile.gif. http://www.lindale.co.nz/
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Run along the epic mountain ranges like you're part of the fellowship of the ring?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    don't bother for a second on the LoTR tours. none of the sets are left, and a lot of the big panoramas were digitally pieced together from various places.
    besides, you won't even be thinking of it; it's a stunningly beautiful and varied country all on its own.
    though the north island has its charms, spend your time on the far more scenic south island, especially if you don't have a lot of time.
    though as i recall Milla's husband is from there and didn't think much of it, one of my favorite little towns was Kaikoura, just north of Christchurch on the east coast of the south island. depending on which season you're going, you can do whale watching, swimming with the dolphins and other such activities, but the mountain ranges and the overall ambience is just incredible. oh, and if you're into bungie jumping or skydiving, they've got all that kind of stuff in spades in NZ.
    speaking of seasons--i went in the NZ spring, which is the off-season for tourism, and i quite liked not having to deal with crowds and having no trouble getting tours or whatever that i was interested in... yeah it could be a little chilly and rainy, but i think a fair trade-off.
    for both islands you can get around quickly and cheaply with a bus pass--they work like calling card hours, but it's hours of bus travel time instead of calling time; alternatively, if you're doing the hostel thing, you can often hitch a ride with travelers going every which way, and that can be a lot of fun. great way to meet fellow travelers.
    i took about 3 and a half weeks in New Zealand on my trip, extended my stay from 2 weeks because i liked it so much. it's still a semi-secret little paradise, frankly. the people, food, cultural and especially natural diversity there are wonderful.

honestly though, just go smile.gif i was in san diego, feeling a little bum, and within just a few days i booked a ticket to NZ and there i was. it really started off my trip right--and there are a few polycounters like Milla and of course Asmuel, who i didn't get a chance to meet. i'm hoping to return there soon someday myself.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Yea too bad I missed you last time Gauss. As soon as I get my own place there will be another couch for PC'ers to crash on in Wellington. *note to self - buy a couch
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    yeah. if you pass through wellington let us know and we can go grab a drink. 'course then i couldn't offer the couch since that's where i'd end up sleeping after my drunken antics see me banished there