Home Technical Talk

Combining maps?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
Is it typical to combine maps into one big map when doing enviroments? For example, if I'm doing a factory scene, and I have a barrel, crate, trash on the ground, etc, is it common to combine those into one big map?

Replies

• Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    There are a couple of factors in this.

The pro of doing it that way is you have fewer draw calls. Less textures floating around that could clutter up a directory.
    The con to doing that is if one of those props was the perfect prop for another artist to use in his scene, and he only wanted the one prop, he's then having to use a way huge texture map, when only a fraction of the texture is actually being used.

I personally try to only combine stuff into one map if I know they are either unique to a specific area (that's going to use all of the props on the texture sheet) or if the props go together (like a piece of machinery that has several separate static meshes to make the prop complete, but not likely going to have only one of those static meshes be used individually).

Sorry I couldn't give you a cut & dry answer. It's just one of those things that has a lot of dependents. Also check with the engine you're using. If draw calls are not a huge problem, it might be safe to keep things on separate maps. However, if draw calls are something to be concerned for, then it's something you'll have to use your best judgment on.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, what Josh said.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Cool, thanks for the info and insight.