Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Animation progress thread..

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Flynny polycounter lvl 9
Well thought id get off my lazy ass and start progressing with things.

So 1st up a little introduction:
Graduated from University not long ago, been spending most of my time keeping my head above water but finally doing animation again! Learned animation in Softimage XSI all through Uni only to find that pretty much every studio within a stones throw is a Max house and arent interested, d`oh.

So been learning Max this past few months, its one hella tough cookie hehe.

1st up is bouncing ball just to learn how to bloody key in Max.

ball.gif
full res: http://www.kflynn.co.uk/Artwork/ball.mov

next up is me messing with the brilliant Brad Noble rig
took me about a day to get my head around..

walk1.gif
full res: http://www.kflynn.co.uk/Artwork/walk1.mov

Im going to keep on imrpoving myself to hopefully get a job as an animator for games so expect all kinds of wierd animated critters, ps if people would like to let me play with cool funky critters then thatd be awesome, full credit will be given wink.gif

will keep you lot posted.. (ps, the cake is a lie, lol.)

Replies

• Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Cool. Look forward to seeing your progress, good luck!
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Thankyou Keen wink.gif

Hey all just a little update im finally really pushing to make stuff that isnt the usual walk here, jump there etc.

But 1st things 1st, can some1 give me a cast iron work flow for 3DS Max 9?

Eg 1st create model, then UV, then texture, then do I rig or can I do it at any stage like in XSI?

I ask because im a total noob in Max but I think im learning it fast enough heh wink.gif

(ps I dont usually model but I really needed to make a cute critter for Half-Life so im going to experiment with him plus make him a portfolio piece..)

critter.jpg

And heres an Old animation piece im going to be ripping apart and rehashing for my reel, desperately need to get a junior/runner job at a game studio here..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnI52GmUxXQ

Anyways, im keeping at it wink.gif
  • commander riker
    It best if rigging comes after morphers, and uvw, but before you add any smoothing modifiers to the stack.

I'm not sure if you intended to render out a fractal to show your use of polys, or if you need to assign smoothing groups to your half-life critter.

its a nice start.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers Riker
    Ok as any animator needs, a website is born wink.gif finally got off my lazy ass and updated it..

http://www.kflynn.co.uk/
    Comments and crits most welcome
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    New update, decided to play more in XSI with my early tank design. Decided it should die, lol.

I present, death animation 01

tank_death.jpg
  • Thurban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice stuff man smile.gif

for the death animation I would give a secondary bounce to the cannons as they hit the ground and come to their final rest state.
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    The Death needs more to me. Right now it's just kind of boring, for lack of a better word. It needs more character.

Your timing seems flat, there's no "texture" to it. Everything seems to happen at the same time. Animation gets interesting when you have things moving at different speeds. It's sort of like contrast in lighting. Adding more overlap to the walk will really give it a weighty feel. Looks like you have a head bone, delay it a little on the walk and try some of the turret. Not too much though because then it will start to look cartoony.

Try adding more shaking to the death animation. Maybe make a leg or 2 slip out from it. Right now it just shakes a little and then falls over. Give it some character. The fall and turret death also looks a bit slow to me.

Don't be afraid to push your animations. Try something extreme, you can also bring it back if you don't like it.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Fair points e_x thankyou wink.gif