jmiles interpolator
kimimarokayugaprogress0vg2.gif

231462kn0yv3.jpg

my naruto model entry WIP & reference image

Replies

• Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a tiny thing: the tail...just before it connects to the body in the side profile, it seems to get smaller. I'm not sure that would happen...I think it's largest where it connects to the body (on most creatures)
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    ah.. doe.. i see that.. thanks for pointing that out.. been stairing at the model for a bit too long.. I think before the end of it i may even make the tail a bit thicker.. seems a bit weak at this point, now that i look at it
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    One of my first models was of kimimaro... I'd show it to you but its so horrible that it makes me cry.

Eyes seem a bit on the small side right now for the typical anime eyes he has. Find some close ups of his face to work off of.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    okey doke.. i'll make them a lil wider.. i was going for his walnut-shaped eyes and figured the texture around his eyes would make them pop despite the shape of the geometry..i'll give it a go and see what i like better wink.gif
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    watch your joints
    jointz.jpg

and the silhouette on the arm thing could use some lovin, maybe use some of your polygons that you have forming the spiral part, and move them up to the back elbow part of the spike. I sorta think most of the detail on that spike thing right now could be done in ther texture/normals.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    u r right konstruct. I am intending on creating more of a cone-shaped drill as opposed to the spiral shaped madness going on there.. i think i'll up the geometry on the spike and create a normal map from it.. would you suggest that i also try to attach the spike object to the body or keep it as floating geometry? I apologize for the reference image.. i have actually been watching more of the anime to capture kimimaro's form.. i don't think this piece of fan art really does him justice to be honest.. it mainly shows the form of kimimaro i will be showing for the competition.. if i could find a better piece of concept art that was a lot more accurate i would post that instead, but that was the only one i could find.. other than that i've been watching naruto episodes to try to make it more accurate to the cartoon.. i'll take your adjustments into consideration then.. i think i've almost got his form nailed too.. thanks for the crits smile.gif
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    the only reason I think you need to attach geometry is if you want it to deform a certain way when animating. Other wise the verts can be weighed the same as it you modeled it in. In a lot of cases its actually a good thing to have floating geometry. Sometimes is saves you a little, to a TON of polygons, and its also makes modeling like building legos :P

after looking at it further your anatomy is pretty stiff in a serious way

A= your model
    B,C, what you need to shoot for. 020.JPG

Get that spinal "S" curve going and that`ll help you throw those legs back.

Also you have a lot of edge loops that although, well laid out, are rigid and stiff. try taking a stab at making the loops more curvy and flowing with one another (just don't make em curvey for the sake of making them curvey, always keep you anatomy and fabric tension in mind)

-I think this will make you model feel far more organic.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    hey guys a lil update to what i've been workin on.. felt like drawing today so i did a quick concept piece of my own to add to the artisans forum.. thanks for all the good crits by the way.. i've been working on his UV'ing and the rest of his form to try to make him look more weighted, as well as work to make him look less stiff.. when i eventually get to rig him, he will be hunched over too.. seemed he was that way in the cartoon.. here's the progress

kimimarokayugaprogress0yw4.gif

and the concept

kimimaroconceptfl2.gif
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    still a lot to do yet, texture wise, but keeping steady on it.. i'm not terribly confident in my texturing abilities, so any guidance on the subject is appreciated.. here's the progress so far

kimimarokayugaprogress0pa9.gif